I know five brothers who have all produced "sons" with their wives, no daughters. is this unique or common?

Favorite Answer

Basically, to know exactly what the odds of this are, it's 0.50 to the power of N, where N is how many kids in the population.  So if two kids, there's a 1 in 4 chance  (.5 times .5) of this happening.

But remember, the odds of each event don't change.  So the 'gamblers fallacy' of thinking that because you had all boys prior means the next one has greater chances of being a girl...it doesn't work that way.  Still 50/50.

I would mention that unless you have an obnoxiously large number of nephews though, this probably isn't as freakish as it seems.  Remember that you're defining the population of events arbitrarily (your brothers' kids), and ignoring the population at large.  It would be like cutting a small piece of a chocolate chip cookie and then being disappointed that you got no chips.  The cookie as a whole may be half chip, but your little sliver is pretty small.

My friends, for awhile, were having pretty much all daughters.  Almost everyone I know had 1-3 daughters and only two have 1 son.  

It happens sometimes...