Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Why do apartment neighbors always wait until after your first 30 days to complain about noise?

Apartments here all offer a 30 day trial period, allowing you to move apartments or move completely if it doesn't work out. As usual, first noise complaint on day 32.

I thought I was "keeping it down". strategically placed sound proofing, rugs, keeping volumes to where I wouldn't think anything could be heard by any neighbor. Nope. Apparently if a mouse farts it's going to be a problem.

• Ana
    Favorite Answer

TO BE HONEST, I don’t think your neighbors only reported you on day 32.

More likely, is they reported you much earlier, but because your landlord didn’t want you to break your lease, they only gave you the noise warning on day 32. (Which unfortunately, is legally within their rights to do...)

If I were you, I’d report my neighbors that reported me, right back. Even if they weren’t loud. Then they won’t want to report me again

You also shouldn’t throw loud parties or something late at night

• Erik

So you're blaming THEM for you being too noisy?

That 30 day thing is extremely irregular...but that would be about you being dissatisfied with something...they couldnt kick you out after 30 days, right?  

Anyway, sounds like your neighbors are extra sensitive as you seem to be taking precautions...

As to why...who knows why?  I would be willing to bet there isnt a standard procedure to wait until day 32...

I have never heard of 30 day trials and I am sure its not a conspiracy. SMH

• John

My black apartment neighbor started complaining about my loud county music so I invited him in, got him drunk and then he liked loud country music.