Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

Why do people always say i will get sick if i don't have meat in my diet ? ?

One day i finally came out to my family and said i am taking on the vegan lifestyle my family started telling me "where did you get that from" or "you need your protein". 

They are ignorant and stupid, or just trying to make sure that you aren't. If you know proper replacements and don't leave a void in your diet, then you will be fine, although you should be supplementing your diet, especially with B12.

Vegan myself,been dealing with such problems too.Its hard,but i chose to pretend i eat normally while eating vegan!If this wont work,add REAL authoritant authors to your discussions with relatives!President Clinton is a vegan!Can find his words too.More,Paul Bregg(a US health author)wrote books about why vegan IS better!Ask for his book "Wonder of fasting", its one i know,it contains good proof veganism IS the right way!

Source(s): Many years as vegan

Only people who know little or nothing about nutrition would say such a thing. But do study such information before making sudden or dramatic changes to your diet.

why don't you ask those people?

How would anyone else know??

We don't know what you ARE eating.

there is a relatively healthy vegan way to eat and then there are those idiots who think living on "salad" is the way to go.

Because most teen vegans don't eat veggies or pay attention to their diet in any real way.

They just eat junk foods like fries or noodles.

If you take the time to study a little nutrition, you will find that there is just as much, if not more, protein in legumes than there is in animal flesh.  You don't even need to combine it with grains to get all the essential amino acids.  A nutritarian diet is a great healthy vegan diet.  If you find your body needs more protein, you can eat eggs, cheese, yogurt and other dairy/milk products.  You don't have to eat meat, as in the flesh of animals, to get your protein.  Do a little internet research.  There are plenty of nutrition databases to look into, like nutrition-data, nutritionix, calorieking, sparkpeople, and even the USDA nutrient database.  I've seen a great section on protein in the book Proof Positive, by Dr. Neil Nedley, M.D.  Check out Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book Eat to Live and The End of Diabetes.  

• ckngbbbls
      1 month agoReport

I call bullcrap on reversing type 1 diabetes. People are often born with that...and in any case, food doesn't cause diabetes. Eating crappy can indeed make it worse but meat products have NO carbs and don't effect blood sugar in the way that effects diabetics..Carb heavy foods do
      .

Because you WILL get sick. Most people who try a vegan diet end up going back to an omnivore diet. Veganism isnt healthy.

• Nekkid Truth!
      1 month agoReport

They had to get it from animals IN THE FIRST PLACE.  Even if grown in a vat, itnis STILL taken from animals firsr.

"Why do people always say i will get sick if i don't have meat in my diet ?"

Many are under the misconception that the only place to get protein is from meat and other animal products. Yet others falsely and knowingly claim that either plants do NOT contain protein, or that the protein in plant based foods is NOT bioavailable. Others will claim that you have to combine certain foods to get protein. Everyone that follows a reasonably healthy diet, is automatically combining foods, even if they don't eat meat, or any other type of animal based/containing foods. Something that some, if not a great many, seem to fail to realize.

You're not going to get sick if you don't have meat, as a source of protein. Not everyone that goes on a strict vegetarian diet gets sick, or is malnourished contrary to what some self proclaimed dietary experts in this section claims. Something I am NOT, also I have NEVER claimed as such to be an expert or a guru.You will have to however either take at minimum a vitamin B12 supplement, or eat plenty of foods fortified with it. As far as the other fourty some odd essential nutrients, you're going to have to do some homework and find out how, and where to source them from. Otherwise you will develop nutritional shortages, and will need to add supplements to cover those shortages, which over an extended period of time CAN make you ill, or cause other health issues over time.

Now finally if you're under legal age, and under the guardianship of your parents or any other family member(s), they CAN legally intervene, and have you eat meat and other animal based foods. They BY LAW are under the legal obligation to try to ensure you get proper nutrition. However if you're on your own, then what you eat is wholly up to you. As for the legalities, a few years ago here on Yahoo Answers, I had a disagreement with a vegan, they insisted I was wrong, until they finally checked the laws.

meat is a double-edged sword ,sometimes it works in your favour ,sometimes it works against you ,

I am definitely a meat eater. I love a good steak more than most anything on the dinner table, but if people want to go Vegan, there are plenty of other sources of protein besides meat.