Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

if they can make that beyond meat taste just as good as real meat to the point we can't tell the difference, should we stop eating animals?

I don't think anyone should be forbidding people to eat real meat. I'm going to eat real meat that comes from a slaughtered farm animal. I don't want fake meats. I don't want so-called beyond meat. Whenever my family eats out at Burger King, we don't order the Impossible Whopper. If I was a politician, I would try to create a new law to ban fake meats. If anyone called something meat that didn't come from a slaughtered farm animal, I would make them pay a $10,000 fine (they would have 24 hours to pay it, or face a 5 year prison sentence charged with a felony). If they were manufacturing fake meat, I would make sure they got a 25 year sentence plus $1,000,000 in fines/restitution for tampering with food. And they would have to register on a food tamperers registry (similar to the sex offenders registry). Failure to comply with the conditions would result in life without parole.

And if any militant vegans had a problem with it, I would have them jailed and forcefed pork chops and veal, to teach them a lesson not to mess with me.

I will always chose the beyond meat option if it is available it the place I am eating at. It is just as tasty as meat, although the texture sometimes is a bit off, but for the most part, I find it really good, and a better option.

• Jeff H

I am amazed that someone on here is still promoting the fake statement that humans are herbivores, humans are, of course, omnivores and always have been.  In fact studies of ancient people have shown that those with little or no animal products in their diet lived shorter lives with increased health issues than those with a moderate amount of animal products in their diet.

To get back to your question I would respond why?  The very fact that the need is there to make things "taste exactly like meat" suggests that humans are genetically inclined to consume meat or animal products.  That is why, until recently, the idea of a strict vegetarian diet or vegan diet was not medically sustainable.  Certain nutritional requirements for humans are only available naturally through animal based products whether it be meat, eggs, or dairy.  Until the development of artificial supplements a diet excluding these products led to long term health issues.

Products like "Beyond Meat" are heavily processed foods and could, over the long term, have the same health issues that processed meats have, there is no way of telling at this time.  What is known is that with the exception of cholesterol, most artificial meat products commercially available have similar amounts of fat to meat and, in several cases, much higher levels of sodium than the equivalent meat product which can cause health related issues over time.

• Wendigo
      1 month agoReport

others put forth. Here P.T. Barnum said it best. There's one born every minute. That can be amended to now being one born every second.

we are herbivores born to eat plants, herbs, fruits and vegetables and more. NOT meat our bodies cannot take it.

• Wendigo
      1 month agoReport

and extract more nutrients from. It also acted as a means of the sanitization of foods, by killing pathogens both on plant based foods, as well as any pathogens that could, and can be be found in animal based foods.

They can do what they like.

No way fake ground up vegetable matter is ever going to taste like a steak, chicken breast or pork chop. You can fake ground beef fairly well and tasting as GOOD as real meat doesn't mean it tastes the SAME as real meat.

there is a difference.

• Groovy_Unicorn
      1 month agoReport

Actually I thought the impossible whopper tasted like meat. Maybe not beef, but it could pass as ground turkey. None of it's very good for you though, I wish it were ground up vegetables instead of what's really in them 🤢

1. They CANT make it takes like meat. Its still a patty made of soy or beans.. It isnt going to taste good.

2. There are nutrients in meat that cant be found in plants.. So no, we shouldnt stop eating animals.

3.  Just because its plant based, doesnt mean that its healthy.  Many of the processed vegan foods have chemicals, fillers and sodium in them...  You are better off to just eat meat.

• Daisy

If people prefer Beyond Meat, they should buy it. But it's not an especially healthy product. 

It's high in sodium and palm oil is an especially unhealthy saturated fat.....even if you ignore the damage done to produce it.

I'll stick with real food.....not something produced in a lab.

"if they can make that beyond meat taste just as good as real meat to the point we can't tell the difference, should we stop eating animals?"

While IF they can make Beyond Meat taste as good as real meat, and to the point that the difference can't be told, whether or not we should stop eating meat is something that is first a personal choice. Then there are those, and contrary  to the claims of some vegetarians and some vegans, who for whatever reasons aren't going to be able to get out of eating meat. I'm among that group, as was my late girlfriend, we learned that the hard way, when our daughter was a young and small child. However that's only a very small part of the picture, that's more complex than some either realizes, or are willing to admit. This is something that crosses all dietary boundaries.

No. That beyond meat stuff isnt healthy

• Anton

* IF *

Beyond Meat has 4 times the sodium as hamburger, 2/3 the protein, more fat.

Their product does not look like hamburger.

There is no way you can fake a USDA Choice T-Bone Steak: