Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

My dog is now barking and growling in his crate at night .?

He used to not bark and growl in his crate at night but now he is doing it. He is 14 weeks right now. Do any of you guys know why? I take him potty and stuff.

This time of year - at night - queens are calling the toms (cats) and he may be hearing this. Also foxes will be calling as they get ready for the breeding season. There maybe just a cat walking around outside. Take a brief look outside - the puppy is just asking for attention in some way. Ignore him, don't look at him and don't pet him. He will grow out of this in time. Just persevere. Good luck.

because you have him locked in a cage and not being held by anyone. Dogs love to be petted and loived

I believe that he is a toy poodle Katherine?! No wonder the poor fella is barking and growling in his crate!. He is 14 weeks old, almost 4 months old! Poodles are the most easiest dog breed in the world to train, second only to the border collie! Why isn't he house trained by  now? Why do you keep him in a crate? It seems to me that you are not stepping up in your house training duties . poor little fella should well be out of his crate at night. 

• patty
      6 days agoReport

so why is he growling you foolish uneducated nit wit. I have had pets all my life and never used crate and never had any problems. You are a teenager who knows very little. Your dog is obviously not happy

you can try to put a night light by his crate everynight dogs sometimes scared sleeping in the dark place and maybe instead putting him the crate all the time .should get his own doggy bed and put by near your bed or by the dog so can sleep in his own new bed with some stuffed toys he can sleep with . dont give him any water after 12midnight or he will barking at night and need to go pee . or the house you living in is haunted 

He wants to sleep in your bed.You will have to go in the crate instead of him

As they get older some dogs will want more attention or it could just be puppy energy. Have you tried placing a blanket over the crate at night? Sometimes, especially I younger dogs it can help. All this does is stops their site of their surroundings and they are less likely to bark at something they may "see" in the dark. It will also let them know it is time for bed, make sure that they get a treat in the morning, if they didn't bark, if they do not get food then, as a reward for it.  

• Katherine1 week agoReport

yea it was puppy energy, we couldn’t take him on walks yet because the vet told us not to because he didn’t get his rabies shots yet so he probobly wanted to keep playing

Why is he in a crate? Why can't he have a bed on the floor next to your bed? At 14 weeks he should be potty trained & would let you know he needed out. He should also have been started in Obedience Training.

If you have puppy proofed your home, there isn't anything down that would harm him. If he chews on things & destroying all kinds of stuff, it could really hurt him. If things are left down where he can get them, then it is your fault cause you did not put it where the dog could not get to it.

Cover the crate so the dog cannot see out. Put the crate in your bedroom

It would have helped a lot if we knew the breed of the dog. Not all dogs howl.

• patty
      1 week agoReport

you don't like any one who has had experience with animals to tell you the truth. 

Me Basset Hound puppy barks and growls and even wags his tail when he's dreaming. 

Well dogs aint cage animals like rabbits and hamsters are.

• patty

I don't believe in crates. sounds like it originated in the USA.

• Katherine6 days agoReport

my dog doesn’t bark for an hour?? i never said that. if he needs to do he just quietly barks to let me know and i take him outside. don’t put words in my mouth. the point of the crate is to guarantee he doesn’t go potty in my room without letting me know.