n asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

Beano enzyme takers—does it work? is it worth buying? ?

if you eat beans and other high fiber veg often, they stop bothering you because your body becomes accustomed to it.

I grew up eating lots of beans and other veggies along with my meat and rarely get gas from those foods.

• Louis

They do help. but I don't think a better solution is for you to only gradually increase your fiber intake. 

The RDA of fiber is at least 25 grams a day. Many Americans eat less than that. But a vegetarian diet may contain over 40. 

If your fiber intake increases dramatically it can cause a lot of gas and Beano- can help in the short term. A better solution is to increase your fiber intake gradually over a period of weeks. Your gut bacteria will slowly change and keep up with the extra fiber. 

Yes, they work. At least on me.

For some people beans are a real problem.  They eat a burrito and for the rest of the night they sound like an Italian motorbike.  I think Beano really works for them.  I don't have that problem myself but it's not uncommon.

If you eat beans a lot (like once a week) your body adapts to them and they don't make as much gas.