promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

If your employer threatens to fire you if you don't sign, is it duress?

A new company came in and bought my division. They required everyone to sign a noncompete under threat of firing.  

Would this be considered under duress, since the company threatened my livelihood and family financial security? 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

no. being under duress legally, would be something like "shoot him or i will shoot you." a company can enforce whatever rules/regulations they wish, so long as it does not violate the law. telling you to sign a contract of any kind or face termination is not illegal, and the company did not threaten your family in any way, they threatened to terminate your employment if you do not comply with the regulations and processes of said company. they can fire you for no reason whatsoever in some states and still never a threat to your family. the threat is the idea of unemployment, not the company threatening to make you unemployed if you dont cooperate. that is actually praised and promoted company management. who would keep an employee who refuses to abide by the rules set forth? sign or be fired

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Diana
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Ask to take it home.  Then, you should read what it says, including the small print, before signing anything.  If you don't like what you see, take Pearl's advice.  

• 1 month ago

i would ask a lawyer about it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.