Al asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

if I start making more than the minimum payments on my credit cards would that increase my chances of them giving me a higher limit?

if I have never missed a payment with them, but have with others

Sounds like the last thing you need is a higher credit limit. Get your current credit under control.

The EASIEST way to get a higher credit limit is to PAY OFF THE CARD.

If you pay the balance in full, your limit will very likely increase within one to two months of not carrying a balance.  They increase the limit to try to tempt you into using the card again.

If you have missed payments on other debts - then NOTHING is going to help you get higher limits on your cards.  When you have missed payments on your credit report, you are a RISK and only TIME can change that.  It could take up to seven years for those missed payments to drop off your score.   

• L

Pay the cards down to $0.00 monthly; be able to provide proof that your income can meet the card issuer's requirements for increasing the limit.

I've been doing this for years - last time I bought a new car, FICO score was 850. Limit on 1 card is $25k. Another card has no "limit", but they do want to talk to me when a single charge is $10k or higher.

And for the last 10 years, I've been making a low 6-figure salary.

All this goes into providing assurance to the card issuer that they will get paid.

• Murzy

If you are not paying off your cards in full. why would you want a higher limit? It will put you higher in debt and you might never be able to pay them off.

• Eva

If all you've been paying is the minimum payment, you're not using your credit properly and should not ask for a higher limit. Work on paying down your balance(s).