Mars_ asked in PetsFish · 1 month ago

Tips on keeping an aquarium warm during winter?

My room's heating has gone south this winter and my poor betta has been living in 75 degree water even with a 25W heater included. (his tank is 2 gallons).

What do you guys do to keep your fish warm during winter? should I get a stronger watt heater, or should I add another one?

• Bort

Add another heater. If you use 2 heaters it will keep the water temperature regulated better throughout the tank. Even though it's only 2 gallons the water is going to be warmer where the heater is and cooler on the opposite side. You'll also be able to have the heaters run less often and not have to have them turned up as high when you use multiples. Just add another heater.

You need to get a 5 gallon or larger tank.

The small amount of water makes keeping everything stable very difficult.

It willl be hard to find reliable quality products like heaters and filters for a tank that small. 

What kind of heater is it?  5 wats per gallon is what you want to aim for.  and you should have more then enough.  possible you need a better quality heater. Marine land sells a great heater for small tanks, so doese ehime Jager, but I urge you to get a 5 gallon minimum tank .

You know how when you have a large chunk of ice, it stays frozen longer then ice chips?  the same thing is happening in your tank,the smaller amount of water is getting cold too fast for the filter to keep up.