promotion image of download ymail app


  I submitted a package to try to obtain immigration for me and my family.  It has been more than 20 years that i submitted the papers.  At that time i was married and my children were minors.  Its now the year 2020 and my wife passed away in 2019 making me a widowed and making my children adults now.  I want to know if i need to report to immigration of my wife's passing. I also would like to know if my children will still be eligible to obtain their immigration papers.  Thank you so much for your response.

5 Answers

  • 1 month ago

     You need to stipulate all relevant details to have any chance of some reasonably accurate answer!

    Your Home country

    Your destination country.

    Some are never approved if you have been waiting 20 years you are most likely TOO OLD for many countries for immigration purposes. About age 45 and above it is harder for an individual to immigrate.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Yes you need to update the country you applied to about your wifes death and your children are no longer dependant children but adults and would not be eligable as dependant children any longer

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Immigration from which country to which country? Assuming for the moment you were sponsored to US by an immediate family member, you must immediately inform authorities (or your sponsor must). So your wife's death needed to be reported promptly, and has not been. 

    Your children have aged out of eligibility & will not accompany you. You will leave them behind if you immigrate. To try to get them grandfathered in, you (or your sponsor) needed to file paperwork before they turned 18. Too late now - they're adults. It could take 7 or more years to get them immigration visas IF you qualified, earned enough to support them. Of course, if they marry, you must become US citizen, not just green card holder, to file any petition for a married child, in addition to meeting earnings requirements.

    Suggest you have your sponsor withdraw the petition, remain in your own country, so you can keep your family together, especially since they have lost their mother.

    Some other country? You need to stipulate all relevant details to have any chance of some reasonably accurate answer!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Without knowing which nation you submitted this package to and how you were hoping to get permission to live there it's hard to say what your actions on this should be. But in most cases you would report significant changes to your petition as they occur. 

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    1.  Immigration from what country to what country?

    2.  What was the basis for your immigration application? (family sponsorship or what?)

    3.  Did you receive a receipt for your application? 

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.