Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 2 months ago

Was my reaction to being caught in a storm rational?

So I was mowing my lawn and I looked up at the sky I saw a fairly stormy looking cloud (cumulonimbus) but it didn't seem dark enough yet to form a storm. So I kept mowing.

About fifteen minutes later I was about 100 meters away from my house by this point. I didn't see any lightning but I heard a huge clap of thunder so I shut the mower off and ran as quickly as I could so I was rather frantic. I had a very steep drive way and was frantically pulling the mower up as quickly as I could there was another clap of thunder around this point. I then put it way and ran inside.

I was rather frantic. Is that a rational response?  

Favorite Answer

I would say yes.  Who wants to get hit by lightning?

Good question for this category, BTW

thing professionally for much too long to be stopped now by logic. ... attack.4 The problem is that I am futilely formulating rational responses to arguments to ... natural law than their reactions to such a pronouncement: believers get a thrill of ...

• C

If you live on the top of the only hill for miles around it's rational.  If you live in my grandparents' hometown, infamous for lightening strikes, you'd have been in as soon as you saw blue-black clouds on the horizon.  Otherwise, a bit frantic, but not stupid.

Meh, a bit of an overreaction.  Seek shelter but don't panic.

• Kenny

I have had cattle killed by lightening . Lightening is dangerous and kills people and things . Stay aware of the weather, you can mow later . Yes you had a rational response .

• JimZ

It was frantic but yeah who wants to get hit with a lightning bolt.  I had a similar rational response to the rain the other day.  It was raining so I turned around and went back inside and skipped my morning jog.