How do I deal with a gay person if I'm straight?

People say I should accept people for who they are but why should I when clearly this is a mental illness and causes the situation to get awkward and this is one of the many reasons why I choose not to side with the LGBT community. That doesn t mean I won t respect them but it just doesn t feel right even after the fact that people know I m straight that people of the same gender might have feelings towards me and yet I m forced to act like it never happened or to avoid them at all cost which is a lot more work just simply avoiding eye contact.

Clearly all of you guy "cherry picked" different parts of my description. I am clearly asking what to do if you are already aware of them telling you they have feelings for me even after they know I don't which why "they might still have feelings towards me". At least some of you guys were logical enough to understand that but to the rest, I don't tell you guys how to live your life and homosexuality is nothing to be proud unless you like being an abomination to science!

@HMFan You're basically assuming I know whether or not somebody is LGBTQ or not? And when did I say every gay guy was interested in me because I don't remember saying that in the question. 

• dont point your butt at them

• HMFan

Don't flatter yourself. Hate to break it to you but not EVERY gay person you meet will want to jump your bones. Why? Because you're simply not their type and not attractive enough to them. So stop assuming EVERY gay guy in the room wants you because chances are, that's not the case. And, instead of thinking with only your "small head," why not consider gays as PEOPLE, not potential sodomites? Who knows? You might make a friend...

I'm not sure what the problem with it is.  If someone of the same sex as you is hitting on you, you tell them, no thanks, I'm straight.  Normally that is all that is needed.  If someone persists after that and harasses you. at that point, the problem is that they are a jerk, not that they are gay.  You can be friendly to a gay person without them trying to jump on top of you lol.

Relax dude he will not have sex with you

• jj1 month agoReport

ur right how are you

• You deal with them like a person. Has a woman ever come onto you that you weren't attracted to - what did you do?  People can't help the attractions they feel, they can only control their behavior.

Being Gay is not a mental illness, but as you feel that way, why does that give you permission to treat them any other differently?  

• Cathy

By refusing to have sex with that gay person

"people of the same gender might have feelings towards me" Don't flatter yourself. If no one has hit on you yet, they probably never will. If they do, you just say, "Not interested." Just so you know, medical professionals do not believe that being gay is "clearly a mental illness."

Let me entertain your logic.

You say that homosexuality is a mental illness.

If you had an illness would you expect others to take that into consideration when dealing with you or should they reject you?

You say some gay people may have an attraction to you and this causes difficulties.  

I cant see how. If I fancied you and made an advance you would say thank you but no thank you which is the exact same thing others have said to you when they were not interested in you. Why are you allowed to express your feeling but others are not?

I would suggest the problem is not so much a person making advances as it is you being tempted by such advances now and then, temptation that may expose your inner feelings, your little sexual secret.

• Cogito
      1 month agoReport

Peter - you can't compare homosexuality with being a paedophile.  There is NO comparison.

You don’t have to be friends with anybody, but as you say - you should be able to be civil. 

However:

1)  its not a mental illness. Its how we were made.

2) just because a guy is gay does not mean he has the hots for you. So please - get over your self. 

3) in the event a gay guy did have a crush on you - there are things to consider. 

a) if you are obviously straight he’d probably never act on it. We don’t like being humiliated. Me personally - I only will hit on a guy unless I know he is gay or bi. Sure I might crush on a straight guy - but if I know he is straight - i’d never act on it and certainly never let him know about it. 

b) if a gay guy actually did proposition you - what’s the big deal? You just turn him down like you would any girl you are not interested in. Kindly, but clearly. If it went beyond that - which it almost never does - you would just tell him to never contact you again or get a restraining order. So that being said - I can’t see why you are in fear of a gay man having a crush on you and why you feel you have to remain in fear all the time.

Gay men are no better or worse than straight men. We bleed if you cut us. Some of us would give you the shirt off our backs. Others of us would sell you out in a heart beat. People are people. But to cut us off? Many gay men and straight men are able to be friends. I have lots of straight friends. I let them know the deal up front. They see I reapect them - they respect me. We teach each other things. Our lives would be less reach if we cut ourselves off due to prejudices. Because some gay men get so hurt they sometimes want to cut out straight men entirely. Don’t give in to fear and prejudice. Talk with gays, bi’s, lesbians and trans. You’ll broaden your mind and learn a lot more about the world. 

Sex preferences are not a mental illness any more than flavor preferences are. No one can choose their feelings or preferences, child.