Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

Would reverse Psychology help attract more customers to my business? ?

They say the best way to get something is to pretend you don't care about it. So what if I make it seem like I don't care about my business and leave an ad in the newspaper saying don't come to my business, and screaming at potential customers and telling them to go away? And maybe try making our slogan "get your food and get out"?

Wouldn't that make people actually want to come to my business? I really do care about getting customers but figured if I pretend like i don't care about it then that would help me get more

• Mark

Has it worked?  Sure.  But it's risky unless you are good at it and it fits the "vibe" of your business.

Examples:

International Soups was the inspiration of "The Soup Nazi" on Seinfeld.  Real place (actually a small hole-in-the-wall shop around the corner from Colbert's theater).  Been there.  Great soup, big lines.  Yes, he's curt.  His reputation (pre-Seinfeld) was that it was okay because his soup was great.

Ed Debevic's:in Chicago.  Classic "rude" waitstaff.  Originator of "Eat and Get Out".  but, we all know it's an act and part of the "vibe".

Dick's Last Resort - similar to Ed's.

High end clothing and jewelry stores - the rudeness is part of the appeal and branding.  "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it".  

Botto Bistro:  Owner got mad a Yelp, so he actually welcomed bad reviews.

https://thehustle.co/botto-bistro-1-star-yelp/

Bottom line:  You can try, but actually have to back it up with quality product.

• John

Revrerse psychology is for children