promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is it a roofer's responsibility to do the flashing around a chimney with a new roof?

I got a new roof and 2 years later a leak.  A contractor found it to be leaking at the flashing around the chimney, and said it's bad work by the roofer.  The roofer said they're not responsible for it.  Who's right?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Your roofer is responsible for flashing a chimney when he is roofing the roof.  If he was not responsible, he should have told you that.  But, nooooo, he is too lazy or has a lazy crew and decided to skip that part.  Which is totally ridiculous because that is PART of the roofing job.....you know, to keep your house dry?

I am a seamstress.  Will I make a garment and expect someone else to install the zipper or sew the buttons on, or to expect someone else to hem the garment?  Of course not.

Your roofer did a shotty job and I would gather quotes from various businesses who can honestly state that flashing around a chimney is included in all roof jobs.  Then, take him to court for the damages.  

Be grateful that you found the problem relatively early on. The roofer and the guy who installed our furnace flue will neither take responsibility for the absence of flashing that caused the flue to separate from the house while water flowed down behind the flue and rotted out behind the flue, three stories high.

A nightmare that cost twenty grand to fix.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Droopy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Depends did the roofers replace it? Or is it the original?   Did your contract for roof include Flashing?

• 1 month ago

get 3 fellas to take pics of the work,,document with pics and signature plus description what they found,take the roofer to court,( your work agreement with the first guy  should describe the scope of the work to be done),,standard at small claims ct is a preponderance of evidence

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It should be; as it is up on the roof.  The roofer naturally includes this in the work he has to do.   It would be rare for the roofer NOT TO INCLUDE RENEWING THE FLASHING as part of the bid.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Of course it's the roofer's responsibility. Flashing is one part of replacing or repairing a roof, and any competent contractor will know that. Small claims court is a good solution here. 

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Court should not automatically be the first choice among reasonable adults.  But it's good to at least remind the roofer that you have administrative and judicial rules on your side.

• 1 month ago

yes the flashing is done by the roofer it is part of the job 

• Jerry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The contractor. The roofer screwed you.

• 1 month ago

The SCAM ARTIST claiming to be a roofer lied.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The roofer says they're not responsible for it because it's two years later. Go back and find whatever paperwork the roofer provided at the end of the job and look at what kind of warranty is provided. I would bet money it's less than two years.

Is flashing around the chimney the roofer's job, absolutely. But I don't think any roofer is going to warranty his work for two years. One, sure, two, no. Too much can happen, including poor maintenance by the homeowner, weather damage, etc.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Last roof I got had a  50-year warranty

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If it was included in the quote then they should have done it. Otherwise not.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.