Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

I have mental illness but my parents are not supportive. How do I teach them that it is real pain and not choice pain like they feel it is?

Having the doctor explain it did not work, they just heard the bits that justified their feelings. No empathy from them. 

Favorite Answer

Hi, I’m sorry for what you are going through. You are not alone. 

This is not about me, but maybe sharing my story can help you a bit.

I suffered for 20yrs before getting help. And it wasn’t until my boyfriend, who also suffers from mental illness, sat me down and told me I had a problem that needed medical attention, before I even began to consider getting medical help. 

I basically spent all my life thinking that it was my fault I was scared of everything and sad. And when I finally began to say something (after I started cutting and was having severe and unbearable intrusive thoughts). My mom just told me that it was because I was young and all teens feel down sometimes because of hormones. Fast forward a few years and I was starting college, my mom said I was just feeling this way because college is a new thing and I just missed my friends (not true, I didn’t have friends). When she ran out of excuses, it was just because I am an intelligent person, and genius people overthink things to much...the dark side of being a “genius”, if you will. 

My dad was a little more sensitive, but definitely not enough to take action. And anything involving medical help would be totally unacceptable. It was just because I needed to exercise more. 

Now, I am finally starting treatment for my diagnosed mental illnesses. I have my boyfriend and my grandparents supporting me. And finally, with everyone but my parents supporting me, they are starting to warm up to the idea. 

I don’t know your parents, but a lot of the time parents don’t want to acknowledge mental illness because they feel like it’s their fault and that’s a hard reality to face up to (even though it’s not necessarily the case). So, they pretend it isn’t real. 

Maybe give them time. They are realizing that their kid has a serious condition that needs treatment, and that might take some time for them to come to terms with. 

As long as you are receiving help, look for support elsewhere. Open up to friends or other loved ones. And if you can’t do that, tell the doctor and he can help you. 

I hope this helped a little bit. Glad that you are acknowledging a problem and getting help for it. Good luck! 

• Marc

You cant. You do not have the ability to make another person beleive anything. And why do you need them to?

Don't diagnose yourself and go see a psychologist so he can diagnose you. If you're really suffering of a mental illness and the doctor tells your parent's they will believe you.