I had juvenile epilepsy, Will I be able to give birth safely?

I was diagnosed with epilepsy at age 3 and outgrew it by puberty. I haven’t had a seizure in over 15 years, the medicines I remember taking were depakote and ziranton. Will getting pregnant bring back my epilepsy or Chance of a seizure?

• Sammy

Why would you want to risk the possibility of passing on compromised genes?

Didn't occur to ask your doctor?

• LizB

Pregnancy does weird things to our bodies, so I wouldn't say it's impossible. You definitely should meet with a perinatologist before becoming pregnant to discuss your concerns, though, and doubly so if you're still on anticonvulsants as some are not safe during pregnancy (though several are considered relatively low risk and can continue to be taken). The perinatologist may refer you to a neurologist for further assessment, and may or may not recommend that you be monitored by a MFM specialist during pregnancy. It's not a bad thing if you are, it just means a few more scans and appointments.

• MissA

That's something you should discuss with a doctor prior to trying to have a baby. Most women who have actual epilepsy don't find that pregnancy makes it better or worse, although seizures during pregnancy do have some risks for the fetus. And sometimes self-limited childhood epilepsy can return in adulthood, and the triggers for that aren't always well understood.

Basically a sit-down with a neurologist who can look at your medical records would be needed. It's beyond our scope here at Yahoo Answers.