promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What would be the cheapest fabric to work with?

I actually work with leather, but need something cheaper to work with so I can practice properly making a jacket without spending much money. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Work out basic fitting and construction problems in basic unbleached muslin. Work out  technical construction and leather work problems on reclaimed leather garments from charity shops and thrift stores. Working out basic fit and pattern making  problems in muslin is an industry standard. Learning how to sew leather using scraps and reclaimed garments gives you real life experience. Do not use faux plastic leathers. They do not sew like leather and the results from fake leather  are not the same as real leather. You will learn nothing from fake leather. They are two very different animals. Also look up leather sewing and leather work tutorials online - both written and video. There's a lot of help out there and these tutorials can guide you on needles, sewing machines, cutting, assembling and more.

• GAME MAN1 month agoReport

Thanks a bunch, already been going through videos on YouTube and already even made a few small things a whole back (already decoded long ago that fake leather is never gonna happen.quality standards). Anywya, this has been extremely useful

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jerry
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I use old bed linens, old curtains from Goodwill and Salvation Army to get the design right. 

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Muslin is cheap and it is fairly sturdy.

• 1 month ago

I would go to a fabric store and ask them what they have that is the cheapest.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.