UV asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Any advice on how to encourage someone who doesn't question their harmful beliefs to question them?

For an example (but it isn't the situation I'm talking about, mine has more to do with sex and sexual repression due to religion and shame):

If a person believes that the government is EVIL and they should never ask for anything from anyone, if they were living UNDER the poverty line and they qualified for Welfare or Woman/Infant/Child care but chose to DECLINE these services because of their anti-government belief system then how do you force someone to see they are hurting themselves with their beliefs and get them the help they need?

Thanks in advance

The only way to change anyone's mind - I have found - is through example.

You can yap, yap, yap until your mouth falls off, but this doesn't mean anyone is listening.

You can not make someone change their minds. I had a "friend" went around all over online posting hateful Trump posts and how he isn't her president yet she also bragged about getting her disability checks and other government money. She'd actually post photos of the checks. If anyone pointed out that "if he isn't your president why take money from the government?" she would unfriend them. She is blind due to her hate in my mind.

Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do when someone is stubbornly clinging to a belief that hurts them. The best you can do is find a way to present the facts.