promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can I use my “old” US passport to travel within Europe while I wait for the new one?

I’m a US citizen with a US passport living in Germany. I renewed my passport at the beginning of the month but I’m still waiting for the new one to arrive. I have a flight to Portugal this Saturday and Idk if they will let me in without my new passport. My old one isn’t expired, but they punched holes in it so idk if I can use it. Would the embassy give me a sheet or what? Thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Your old one is no longer valid.

The embassy may be able to provide you with emergency travel papers - but they generally only are provided to get you home to your own country, not to travel around.

Basically; you'll have to wait.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Old passport is invalid, as proved by drilling the passport. You cannot use it! 

Do you have documentation proving you legally reside in Germany? Since Germany & Portugal are both within the Schengen Zone, govt-issued photo ID that is proof of legal German residency (not just passport with tourist/Schengen visa) may suffice. Check with the airline. Otherwise, you go nowhere at all until you receive your new passport.

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. A punched passport is invalid. It can not be used for travel.

• 1 month ago

Your old passport is no longer valid. There's no way they let you use it as an ID for air travel purposes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your passport is defaced and embassies don't give pieces of paper.

You won't be going on Saturday.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No. The holes make it invalid

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"they punched holes" meaning it is invalid and can't be used

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.