Sherin Michael asked in PetsFish · 1 month ago

Is it ok to turn off aquarium air pump overnight?

Favorite Answer

You can not turn the filter off.  do you also have an air pump and airstone?

If your tank is not overstocked, not heated past 85 Degrees. 

If your tank is fully cycled, so that the water does not contain ammonia or nitrite. 

The addition of an air pump/air stone/ bubble maker... Is not required.  it is mostly decoration, as the filter should be circulating the water enough to keep the maximum amount of oxygyne that can be in the water anyway. 

In that case, you can turn off the airs stone/pump, but never the filter.

I do turn mine of, yet they are only in 1-3 gal. bowls. So I do not think they need to be on all the time.  One bowl with a much slower working pump I do leave on all the time.

It depends how big is your tank, how many fishes you have in, etc.. Technically you can, as long as the filter is still running...  But I wouldn't do that, not only that the air pump provides oxygen into your tank but it also helps maintain an adequate water movement throughout the tank, which is very important to assure all of the water gets ran through the filter.. If it's because of the noise, check if it still stands on it's rubber pads and make sure it doesn't directly touch any hard, rigid surface (wall, glass, etc..). Sometimes I even had to wrap the air pump itself around with a few rubber bands.. Also you can fold a fluffy towel into a mini bed and put the air pump on top of it. It reduces the vibrations and the noice significantly..  I hope this helps .. 

• Ocimom

I would not.  You definately do not want to turn off the heater or filter, so it probably is not wise to turn off the air pump overnight either.

• Bort

Yes. It's not going to kill it. Aeration helps with certain things. It's not an end-all. The life in the water will survive without the pump on.

So do your fish need less oxygen at night?

Depends on how many fish you have and whether or not you can circulate the water. If you can get the water moving around, your fish should be fine. 

If you can’t circulate the water then your fish can asphyxiate if there’s too many of them and not enough oxygen.