I'm meeting up with a woman who used to be my teacher. In your view should I still call her "Miss" as I used to at school?

Should explain that you call all female teachers in England as "Miss" without family name and regardless of age or marital status.  I never not called her Miss so would feel odd not doing so ten years later.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Liz
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

If I met up with a woman who used to be my teacher, I'd still call her Ms. since she was married. I still think of some of my favorite teachers as Ms.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

If you never called her that, why would you start now?

• Lili
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Use "Miss" plus her surname, unless you know she's married, in which case you should call her "Mrs." plus her surname.  Never call her just "Miss". You are not her student any longer.

At this point, she may ask you to call her by her first name.

• 5 months ago

Ten years after being her student it would be childish to call her just 'Miss'.

Surely you know her surname, and whether she's married or not. Call her 'Miss Jones' or 'Mrs Smith' and wait for her to tell you, 'Oh please just call me Diane'.

If she doesn't, then just accept that she prefers a more formal address, and keep on saying Miss Jones or Mrs Smith.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

She's going to feel odd being called "Miss" by an adult. I think you can be honest about this, and say you're unsure of what to call her, and ask what she would prefer. 

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Basic respect/etiquette dictates that you should ALWAYS refer to others using a title unless/until they ask you to call them by their given name.

• Lili
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

The question is whether he should call her just "Miss," sans surname, as British students do their teachers.

• 5 months ago

Yes, unless she says, 'please call me Mary'.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes that would be proper.

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Address her as Miss Surname unless she tells you to use her first name. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.