I'm meeting up with a woman who used to be my teacher. In your view should I still call her "Miss" as I used to at school?

Should explain that you call all female teachers in England as "Miss" without family name and regardless of age or marital status.  I never not called her Miss so would feel odd not doing so ten years later.

• Liz

If I met up with a woman who used to be my teacher, I'd still call her Ms. since she was married. I still think of some of my favorite teachers as Ms.

If you never called her that, why would you start now?

• Lili

Use "Miss" plus her surname, unless you know she's married, in which case you should call her "Mrs." plus her surname.  Never call her just "Miss". You are not her student any longer.

At this point, she may ask you to call her by her first name.

Ten years after being her student it would be childish to call her just 'Miss'.

Surely you know her surname, and whether she's married or not. Call her 'Miss Jones' or 'Mrs Smith' and wait for her to tell you, 'Oh please just call me Diane'.

If she doesn't, then just accept that she prefers a more formal address, and keep on saying Miss Jones or Mrs Smith.

She's going to feel odd being called "Miss" by an adult. I think you can be honest about this, and say you're unsure of what to call her, and ask what she would prefer. 

• Laurie

Basic respect/etiquette dictates that you should ALWAYS refer to others using a title unless/until they ask you to call them by their given name.

• Lili

The question is whether he should call her just "Miss," sans surname, as British students do their teachers.

Yes, unless she says, 'please call me Mary'.

• mokrie

Yes that would be proper.

• Elaine

Address her as Miss Surname unless she tells you to use her first name.