Joseph asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Weight loss and swimming ?

Hi, I have recently been trying to lose some weight and tone my body up. 

I’m 24 and 5ft 9.

I was around 12stone 5 which I understand was overweight, I am now after 1 month of cutting calories and swimming around 30 mins each night 11stone7. 

I’m eating around 1500 calories per day.

When I first started I noticed a quick drop in weight and I had lots of energy when swimming after 4 weeks I have noticed my weight loss has slowed and I don’t have as much energy when swimming anymore. 

I have a few questions 

1) how many calories considering I swim fairly intensely 4-5 times per week should I be consuming? 

2) why has my weight loss slowed and my energy levels dropped when swimming? 

Thank you for your help! 

Stop counting calories and count carbs... less than 25 a day. Eat HEALTHY natural fats (no hydrogenated or manufactured fats, just natural animal fats, or avocado, olive, coconut oil).

Your weight loss was rapid at first because you lost fluid/water weight. This is the first thing to go. Then your body started burning fat. Everyone reaches a plateau.

And if you're foggy and not as energentic, it's likely because you're not giving your body proper fuels. Try Ketogenic -- Dr. Josh Axe has the best advice. You can Google Diet Doctor Keto for Beginners for information. That's just one page on his website. He's also present on YouTube and has written books which are excellent.

Weight loss is 80% about what you're eating and only 20% about exercise.

• .

1 - Use the Daily Calorie Needs calculator here to help you determine your calorie needs, based on your age, height, weight, and activity level (remember your calorie needs change as your weight and activity level changes) https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator

.2 - Your initial fast weight loss included a lot of water weight (which is common). It's also common for people working to lose weight to hit a plateau, especially when they are doing the same thing for weeks at a time (exact same workout and diet). Your body becomes used to those things, and more efficient, and thus it's not being challenged so the changes are reduced. If you do something over and over, you become better at it, right? When you become better at it, it doesn't require as much energy for you to do it, thus you aren't burning the same # of calories as when you first started that activity and it was more difficult.

It is also recommended that you swim at least 2,5 hours every week when in process of losing weight, and an hour after that to keep the weight. To burn 3500 calories means you need to swim for about 7 hours so it is an achievable monthly goal for most of us.

Although there is no magical spot-reducing exercise, swimming is a highly aerobic exercise that, if done routinely, can burn body fat. While splashing in the pool, you tend to focus on fun, rather than on the number of calories burned and which muscles are being toned. That extra belly fat has to go.

• Petter

You were just only just slightly overweight at 12 stone 5. At 11 stone 7 not anymore. That's why you are not losing any more weight. You probably also have built some muscle by now, especially if you didn't exercise before. This will also make you gain weight, since muscle way more than fat, but that's perfectly ok. Don't blindly just look at weight, better to messaure waist or something instead.