promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How do i fix my fried potato issue? How do i improve my cooking?

I first peel my potatoes then boil them and when a knife can sink into it while still offering some resistance i stop cooking them. I then cut the potatoes into pieces ( when they have cooled off slightly and can hold them as i cut through the potato) that are not to thick and will fry both sides without issue. I season them with Salt and pepper and paprika. Place them on Olive oil and fry both sides until they are brown on both sides. When i taste them , they have no taste but are cooked thoroughly.

Update:

I cook them twice because i want to make sure they are cooked thoroughly. If i fry them without boiling i get mostly cooked with the center uncooked. 

17 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Do everything you're doing, up to seasoning them,  You should fry them first and season them after, because;  while frying them the seasoning will come off them and go into the oil in the pan, making them 'unseasoned'.  

• IvaB
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Your first problem is that you are boiling your potatoes. Boiling may cook them, but it leaches out any flavor the actual potato may have. It also causes the potatoes to absorb a lot of water--which further leaches out any flavor.  When you fry potatoes, you should not pre-cook them. Instead, turn the heat down under your pan where you are going to fry them just a bit--and take a little longer to cook them so they are completely done. 

To fry potatoes: cut the potatoes into pieces you want (sliced, or quartered.) Then DRY the potatoes after cutting by pressing them with paper towels. Drying is essential before frying because it removes water and lets the oil do the cooking.  Oil the potatoes with your olive oil, and sprinkle on your seasoning. Place the potatoes in hot oil--the right temperature of the oil is just before it begins to smoke. Test one before adding all of them, because as soon as you do, the oil temperature will drop slightly.  Watch them carefully and turn the potatoes gently while frying. Add more seasoning during the frying--but not too much.  When the potatoes are golden brown and have crispy edges, they should be done. Adjust the flame under your oil so that the oil remains hot, but isn't smoking, and yet is not too hot so that the potatoes cook too quickly. 

One mistake a lot of cooks make is trying to fry potatoes that are too thickly cut. Don't make huge pieces--or you will get done on the outside and uncooked on the inside. 

To ensure your potatoes are cooked, you should never cover them with a lid during frying--this will make them too soft, but you should keep your oil temperature at just below smoking level so that it remains hot. Fry in smaller batches. Remove cooked potatoes from the oil and drain on paper towels. You can add more seasoning lightly just before serving. 

• hart
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

try with lard or duck fat

use seasalt best is Celtic seasalt

• 1 month ago

You're not seasoning them enough. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That's way over thinking it. For home fries you simply chop them up and throw them in oil, tossing occasionally. I let them cool in a low oven after one last toss in the spices after draining the oil. If you want long strip fries like in fast food you really need a deep fryer. If that's the case, you'll want to rinse and dry them first to keep the starches from clumping them together when submerged.

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If your concern is internal flavor you might try cutting them raw and slowly boil with powdered or cubed chicken bouillion. Dissolve the CB first. Then fry as you would. You will need a lot less salt as the bouillion will add salt. Potatoes are flavor neutral

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Try a different oil like peanut oil.

Since you are boiling them first (which is correct), you might try turning up the heat a bit when frying.   Those golden crispy bits are yummy.

Consider scrubbing the potatoes but leaving the skin on.  Skin has more flavor than the potato itself.

Add a bit of onion powder and/or garlic powder if you like those flavors.   If you want a bit of zip you can add some cayenne pepper. 

• 1 month ago

They typically won't have a great lot of flavor as a potato is rather bland to start with. Season them quite strongly, and that way you may taste the salt and pepper more. Also, if you like onion, dice up an onion and fry that with them, they will get some flavor that way. You could try roasting them too. Just do exactly what you do to fry them but instead of adding them to a frying pan, coat the potatos in olive oil in a bowl, then lay the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with tin foil, and roast on 350* until they are golden brown and crispy on the edges. This way you can add a lot more seasonings, and they won't burn the way they may when they are being fried.

• 1 month ago

First of all, if you're having to cook them twice, either they're too thick, or your fire is too hot, or both.  

Second, if they have no flavor, then add some. More salt and pepper, onion is really good cooked with them.  Some people like a LITTLE garlic.  Some like bacon--cooking them with bacon in it's drippings is a common thing.  But just salt and pepper and a good fry will make them taste incredible.  

I would NOT use olive oil, though.  I would use a canola or vegetable oil.  It gives heavily fried food much better flavor and has a higher smoke point than olive oil, resulting in a better outcome for the actual frying because you can get it hotter and the potatoes will actually fry instead of steam.

• 1 month ago

Add a little more seasoning. Your cooking method is fine. I might use butter instead of olive oil.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.