Why should I not use 'the other day' in this sentence?

I am a student learning English.

I handed my writing, and someone corrected it.

My original sentence was "Nowadays, almost every day I watch YouTube videos regarding tiny houses. The other day my friend told me that I looked good, so I said it was thanks to the videos."

Then, someone corrected "the other day" to "one day."

I meant "a few days ago."

'The other day' is weird in this sentence?

'One day' is better?

• Zirp
    Favorite Answer

"one day" definitely is not better. It is WORSE. "a few days ago" IS better.

You should also change the first sentence to "Nowadays, I watch YouTube-videos about tiny houses almost every day."

As to how you looking good has anything to do with videos about tiny houses, I have no idea

'The other day' is perfectly correct in this context. 'One day' is not.

I would say that your friend said you 'were looking good', not that you 'looked good'. In this context 'looking good' means you were looking well, maybe better than before you started looking at these videos.

Lots of people enjoy looking at tiny houses - I assume you mean real houses, for a real person to live in, but  extremely compact.

• Laurie

“The other day” is commonly used by American native-English speakers.

• bluebellbkk

And by British ones too. It's absolutely normal.

I would use "the other day," in that sentence.  It refers to a time but isn't all that specific about the when.  It might have been yesterday or five days ago, or three days ago, but I don't quite remember exactly so it was just "the other day".  It was not today (this day), and it wasn't a long time ago. 

• RP

Nowadays and almost every day overlap. One would be sufficient. Try: Almost every day... That implies now. On the other hand, if you've stopped, then you might consider: Until a few days ago, I used to watch...

To be honest, the whole sentence needs some work. Nowadays doesn’t sound right. For example: 

“I’ve been watching YouTube videos almost everyday lately about tiny houses and when my friend said I looked good, I said it was thanks to the videos”. 

Side note — I don’t quite understand how you looking good has anything to do with watching tiny houses videos...it’s confusing all around. 

"The other day" is fine.  "One day" could be any time but "the other day" suggests the recent future.

But the text still has problems.  First you're talking about tiny houses, then about your friend telling you you look good.  One idea doesn't follow the other very well. 

• Cara

The recent future???

Does a tiny house affect your appearance

• mango2 months agoReport

My friend meant that I looked happy. I didn't know 'looking good' can be confusing if I use this way. Thanks for your comment.