promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Cooking: Do you wash your meat or rub it clean before cooking?

We bought some fresh meat the other day, ribs chop cuts. I was wondering. Is it good to wash your meat or dry pat it clean will do the job, before you prepare it to cook.

Texture and hygiene points only. Thanks !  

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

i wash it, then rub it really good. mmmmmmm

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

No need. 

The "washing" can spread more bacteria around the kitchen. 

A piece of meat should be patted dry and seasoned prior to cooking. The patting it day is to remove excess surface moisture and that promotes browning, leaving it moist allows it to steam rather than brown easily. 

Ground beef or other ground meat should be cooked thoroughly. 

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If it has excess 'moisture' on it from the pack, I blot it with kitchen paper.

• 1 month ago

Washing meat is not recommended.  Studies have shown germs are spread more by water during the washing process, then any other stage of cooking.  Think about it, did you sterilize your sink and surrounding counter the last time you washed a chicken? Washing meat washes away flavor.

Recipes usually recommend wiping off meat before cooking.  This has less to do with sanitation and more to do with improved browning of meat, crisper skin on poultry and provide a better surface for rubs and marinades.  

Source(s): USDA
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No necessary but sometimes you can wash off small bits for bone from the bone saw and 'stuff'. Certain doesn't hurt anything to give a quick rinse under slow running cool water.

• 1 month ago

Only whole poultry because there tends to be ice crystals in the cavity and the organs have that slime that doesn't taste too good.

• 1 month ago

Nope. Don't do it. You will be washing away the flavor, and you can also introduce contaminants that way.

• 1 month ago

You don't need to wash it, unless it has something visible that you need to rinse off. Doing so won't get rid of anything that may be there.  Cooking it to a safe temperature will.

I just need to add, that I read through the answers and not ONE PERSON made the joke that was immediately going through my head when I read this question.  Good on all of you!!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They only time I'd ever think of washing meat would be if I'd dropped it on the ground. Otherwise, definitely not!

I might pat fish or steaks dry with kitchen towel if they are especially wet.

• 1 month ago

I believe this is unnesicary as cooking it properly will kill anything alive on it anyway

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.