Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 months ago

so I live in a big city surrounded by people on a daily basis and take the train to work, how do I read a book without being distracted?

I see way more value in reading a good book in the train as opposed to playing with my cellphone like most people do nowadays

I don't know what else to tell you than 'Just do it'!

People have been reading books, magazines and newspapers on crowded trains and buses for well over 100 years.

Just focus on the book, if it's an absorbing read you won't notice what's going on around you.

• impossible, society now has turned to sh!t.

I just carry a book on the bus and sit and read.  As others have pointed out, sometimes there needs to be some work done to make sure you can get a seat - I usually wait until after the rush hour crush, since there are often full buses that don't take on more passengers anyway.  But if that isn't an option for you, or if you have problems finding a seat, I've found that audiobooks can be a good choice as well.

• Speed

I rode Boston's T to and from work for years, with a book.

I often walked a bit farther to get on the train earlier, stayed late at work, or left home early, to increase the odds of getting a seat. For me, sitting down was a necessary element of reading on the train.

The other thing I had to have was exclusion of conversation. General background noise, including distant conversation, was okay, but someone talking at a perfectly reasonable volume near me left me unable to read. So I used music without lyrics, not too loud, to put such conversations in the background.

As mentioned, anyone who's reading or diddling about with their phone needs to also remain aware of their surroundings. Whether you get mugged, masturbated upon, or ride past your stop depends on whether you're paying attention.

• Marli

You shouldn't be too engrossed in the book that you are not aware of the movements of others close to you on the train or when you are approaching your stop.  

My "on the bus" books are usually light reads like Agatha Christie or a romance.  I have seen people reading more intellectual or business fare; but with the jostling and squeezing one must put up with, I find it hard to concentrate on something more mind stimulating than a familiar Christie or P.G. Wodehouse novel.

Go ahead if you wanna be a bait for thieves who will surround you at gun or knife point

• Marli

That seldom happens.  When it does, it does not matter if the victim was reading a book, using a cell phone or fully alert to the others in the car or bus.

• Andrew

There's no trick to it. I think some people are just better at being able to tune things out than others are. It's certainly possible to train yourself to be able to do it, but it will take practice. It's one of those things where the more you think about it, the less likely you are to be successful with it. Just concentrate on what you're reading and eventually it will become second nature.