Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

Why do some people get so upset when the passenger in the row ahead reclines the seat on an airplane?

@megalomaniac - so tall person knew beforehand economy seat will be uncomfortable, why doesn't s/he pay extra for exit row to get extra room?

Because today's air planes have crammed more rows of seats in giving every passenger less space to be comfortable .....  so when the person, in front of you, reclines their seat - you loose comfortable space.  

As for the recent video going around........I read the entire story.  The young man, politely, asked the woman in front of him to please NOT recline her seat until he had finished eating his meal........the woman immediately reclined her seat - showing total disrespect........so, responded in kind.

i'm 6'6 so if that happens im looking at possible no room at all and the tv on the seat is at an angle I cant watch

• Francis
      1 month agoReport

Shouldnt you buy a seat with better leg room rather than blame someone else.

• alan P

In some planes the seats come back far too much so that you can't see the screen properly or put anything on the table.  Sometimes people jerk the seat back knocking over drinks.  When people who recline their seat they are basically stealing your space.  Reclining should be very limited so that the seats only go back a little way and don't make the person behind uncomfortable

• JuanB

The seats were designed when the aisles were further apart.  

There is no room to use the tray table.  You can barley have a drink on your tray with a reclined seat taking up that upper space.  They will frequently tell you to put your seat up during any meal or drink service.There is no room for a laptop computer either.  By your reasoning anyone bringing a computer  on board should pay extra for a better seat.

• Joseph

Because airlines have squeezed so many seats into their planes that the seat pitch (the distance between the back of one row of seats and the back of the next) now intrudes into most people's personal space.  Notice when you talk to someone how far apart you stand from them.  

Think how uncomfortable you would feel if the other person started moving closer to you and you couldn't back away.  Now imagine your discomfort and stress when you are in a situation where your personal space is intruded upon by strangers for hours and you can't do anything about.     

Reclining a seat only makes that intrusion and stress level worse for a passenger in the row behind.  People react to stress in different ways; some just grin and bear it, some react violently.  

The situation is only getting worse as the airlines chase the almighty revenue.  American Airlines, in order to shoehorn an extra row of seats into its 737s, recently started installing lavatories that are so small that even an average person has trouble squeezing in.  This will continue, in my opinion, as long as the airlines' top management gets to fly in the First or Business class.  If they were forced to fly in the economy all the time, you'll see an instant seat pitch increase.  

• DEBS

I really don't understand the people who get annoyed by this, and especially someone who gets angry like the recent videos.  That was a spoiled individual with no grasp on reality.  Unfortunately, I think those type of people are being raised more and more these days.

The odd thing for me is that I notice almost no difference when someone reclines on 99% of the flights I've been on.  I'm tall and legroom is a major issue for me, but reclining affects it very little.  In fact, sometimes it allows my knees a little more room depending on how the seats recline.  

To your update, I'm serious here that tall people should not have to pay extra for more legroom.  Airlines should be required to have a minimum amount of legroom for each seat which accommodates all heights.  If an airline chooses to not meet these minimum requirements, they must give the passenger a seat with more legroom at no charge.  If there is a current minimum required amount of room, it needs to be adjusted.  (This gets into a slippery slope with overweight people who may or may not be able to control their size, but that's a separate issue to tackle.)

There are polite and non-upsetting ways to do this. It's just that so many people never even consider them.

It's unrealistic to expect people never to recline. However on civilised airlines the cabin crew make sure everyone sits upright at least while meals are being served.

If I want to recline, I look over my shoulder to make sure what the situation is, and if there's no hot coffee or full glass on the tray behind me, I start GENTLY reclining. If there are no squawks I continue, but I usually glance round again just to make sure that the person behind isn't looking agitated.

It's simply RUDE to tip your seat back abruptly without the slightest warning.

Because the person's head is hovering above your lap. Do you want someone else's head in your lap?  Do you want someone's chairback on your chest?

They should not make reclining seats on aircraft, period.

economy class peasants whine about everything in life.

• TedEx
      1 month agoReport

With airline fares, like much else in life, you get what you pay for.

If you have to ask, you must be a short person.  And if you really need to know, there is little enough leg room for people with long legs and airplanes are uncomfortable enough for tall people.

Update: I sometimes get given an exit row, and that is more comfortable, but that choice is not always available.  I don't get angry about it, and I don't complain when people recline, I just don't like it because it's uncomfortable for me.