Janelle asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Should I be concerned?

I have been losing a decent amount of weight here recently and I was wondering if I should bring it up with my doctor. It is starting to worry me. Back in December I weighed around 180 lbs, and now I weigh around 165-170 lbs (my height is 5’7 if that makes any difference). My diet has changed to the point I’m not eating as much as I used to. It feels painful to eat. I don’t know if that means anything, but if anyone has any advice or anything I’m all ears. Thank you in advance.

• Alpha
    Favorite Answer

I would definitely bringing it up to your doctor. DO NOT hide things about your health to your doctor. This is the one person you should be 100% honest.

As for your situation, you are starting to sound like someone with the early onset of an eating disorder and possibility some physical medical condition. If you were eating healthy and exercising, a 10 to 15 lbs weight loss in 2.5 months would not be a concern. But you are NOT doing that. Plus, you are psychologically stressed about eating to the point you claim eating is painful. This is not normal.

Talk to your doctor. NEVER hide any medical concerns from your doctor.

• Not at all in my opinion

Yes. Absolutely go in to see your GP or a gastroenterologist. Weight loss isn't necessarily a major concern, particularly if you are overweight. Intentional dietary changes can be very positive. What is very concerning is that your find eating painful.  That's not normal.  It could be something minor or it could be serious.  Don' wait -- call your doctor's office today.

• ron h

10 or 15 lbs loss in 45 or 60 days is not bad, BUT it should never be painful to eat.  If  you've chosen to eat less that's good, but it should never be painful to eat.  Never lie to your doctor.  It wastes everyone's time and you get bad advice. 

Your weight is fine maybe a little over if anything but the eating habits could be improved upon that is if you're male. If you are 5'7' a female and weigh 170 keep dieting.

• Andy C

You may have a natural gastric bypass kind of. It's VERY concerning that you hurt when you eat.