Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is it illegal to throw out plastic bottle along with your regular garbage?

Sometimes I just really want to clean the house really quickly and I don’t have time to recycle but lately I’ve been gettin dirty looks from neighbors and the garbage men. I don’t want them to call the police on me or anything is this even illegal or am I allowed to as unethical as it may seem

There should be a separate container specifically for plastic.  Did you check the garbage disposal website?  It should tell you whether they pick up plastic items.

That would be a local ordinance that, in my city, IS illegal.

You need to check with the laws and codes of your  municipality to determine whether recycling is required or not.  In most cases it isn't, but in a few they have different enforcement measures in place, so it never hurts to check.  It's also possible that while there may not be any *laws* against it, your town's utility-services  (which handles trash and sewer) may have some sort of policy which may result in you being charged more if you don't recycle...you should be able to investigate this (check your town's relevant webpages), or failing that, discreetly inquire. 

If there aren't any explicit policies in place, then I would say it's up to you whether you recycle or not.  On a personal note, I agree with you that sometimes it is definitely a pain to recycle...but I'd like to encourage you to do so because we really are helping things here on earth out when we do!

• xyzzy

why would it be unethical? As to if it is illegal or not that would depend on your local ordinances. Most places it is totally legal.

I fixed that, went and invested in a water dispenser that has cold water and hot water. Easy fix, you got this...

such laws depend on where you live