Teen son struggling academically ?

My son is 14 & in 8th grade and he constantly struggles academically. In the past I've hired a tutor for reading & although he needed one for math I couldn't find one for in my area and he struggles with comprehending big words so when he's in science he has a very difficult time understanding his teacher. He's told me he's STUPID and honestly I've seen where some of his so called friends have even called him stupid. Its truly sad and I have limited his friends too. Tonight was the last straw for me because I told him to look at an assignment that's missing from Feb 7th in his school portal and he replied WHAT MONTH IS THAT? I honestly felt like he was just trying to be difficult but my daughter said MOM he probably doesn't know it and she reminded me of a conversation we had a last year regarding this exact issue. I just don't  understand whats going on with him. And I don't know what to do for him. What to ask the school for or even his doctor. I'm worried about him. I've been worried for a long time now and I still don't feel like I have anyone to reach out to about this. I just don't know what to do for him. Any CONSTRUCTIVE advice would be appreciated. Any sort of testing to help us understand whats happening to him? He use to bring me stacks of books when he was a little boy, he loved reading and now he hates it. He was always so advanced in everything he did but the last few years he has changed and his academics has seriously declined. I may homeschool.

get him a tuter or see if they have special ade at school

Welcome to society son. 

• drip

Have you sat down with him and had he read out loud to you?  Have him write out a paper, then read to you what he wrote.  My son would not be reading what actually got written, but what was in his head. Which was good. He couldn’t get what was in his head to the paper.  We both have a great deal of trouble pronouncing words that we are unfamiliar with.  Phonics didn’t help at all. We both have trouble with music and foreign language too. We just can not distinguish sounds. Makes it hard to spell too.  My son would get overwhelmed by school work. Helping him break it up and get things organized help him. 

Teachers worked with me on making sure both of us knew assignments and due dates.  Many teacher post it all online now.  I helped him. We would check together. I had a calendar on the wall with due dates and test dates in red.  Ask his doctor to have him tested for learning disorders.  Try to write down things that are on going with him. Things that you are now noticing. Ask your daughter what she sees.   Get a meeting with each of his teachers.  I found some are more aware than others.  Some can spot a problem where others will over look it or just feel the student is doing it on purpose.

Read to him now. Read and discuss.  Read the science text book to him.  Have him read to you. Get a one on one experience to see where his trouble is. 

If you can try to have him tested through your doctor. Our school tested my son. And would say no problems because he alway had high comprehension. A learning disability has nothing to do with intelligence.  Dyslexia is one of the more known LD.  Makes it hard to read and write and do math,  but doesn’t mean the student is not intelligent.  Your son needs to understand that, and that there is help.

Get a meeting with your doctor ASAP and before you talk to your school about testing. 

maybe you should get him checked for a learning disability

He may very well have a reading disorder. He may see letters differently. Is he in the public school in the US? Ask his teacher to refer him for testing. There are some very simple disorder (that have nothing to do with retardation or autism or any thing else) that teachers can help him with. He shows all the symptoms of a reading disorder. Homeschooling won't help- he need support from someone who knows the special techniques for teaching people with a disorder. This has to do with the wiring in the brain- it's not his fault and nothing to be ashamed of. 

• thecrew741 month agoReport

Yes in the US. I will make contact with the school tomorrow. Homeschooling was what I was thinking until I could get him the help he needs. He's a sociable kid and I don't want to take that from him, I'm just worried about him. He definitely doesn't want to homeschool. Thank you 

You don't get to control my life because two of my uncle's my mom was close with and not me committed some crimes they weren't jailed for. Walk around with all the old couples u want ur wasting ur time.

He needs to be evaluated by a professional Most schools have a counselor or other person who can administer and interpret tests to determine whether he has a learning disability or other issue that retards his mental growth. He may have something like autism or mental retardation - or there may be an organic/physiological element here. You should also discuss this with his physician to determine whether he should see a psychologist or psychiatrist AFTER the school's evaluation.

• Richard
      1 month agoReport

This was a personal opinion.  Our younger daughter had a problem, and the school district diagnosed it and put her into a special pre-school program, which brought he up to snuff.  Today she is a pharmacist making $100+ K/year.