Miguel asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

How long does it take to learn French?

I want to speak intermediate-French. 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Pontus
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Per the American Foreign Service Institute, for a learner who knows only English, French is a level I language, required 575-600 hours of study to reach competency, not fluency.  That's 23-24 weeks, if you put in the highly unlikely 25 hours per week.

Intermediacy would be 50-75 % of those hours, roughly. 

That's assuming you are also learning to ready and write French.  There is a strong link between the written and spoken languages, stronger than in most other languages.  I recommend that a foreigner learn both. 

Adjust the number of weeks by how much time you can actually put in. 

In American high schools, many students reach intermediacy after 3-4 years (but very little time is put in each week). 

Note that many formal curriculums focus more on proper French and formal ways of speaking rather than daily spoken French. 

Although there are plenty of differences, compared to languages in levels III-V, there are many similarities between English and French, making it among the easier (but not easy) languages for an English speaker.

Source(s): https://effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-gui... ; taught French; native English speaker
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Depends on you and your ability to learn a language + the time you will spend to learn it and too, the interest you have about this language ( this last notion is important).

Another thing that counts is: if you learn by yourself or with a teacher. I think it's faster with one.

• 2 months ago

it probably depends on how fast you learn

• 2 months ago

It takes about that long.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.