Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 2 months ago

Messed up my State Tax Return.?

After 3 weeks passed from filing my taxes, I just realized I made an error on my Savings Account Number. I had the correct routing number, but I did not realize the account number did not match.

I just checked the filing status on TAXHAWK, and it said they delivered it yesterday! But there's NO SIGN of my state tax return in my banking/savings account.

What do I do??

The money will be sent back to the State by the bank. They normally then mail a paper check.

Wait for your refund to be returned to IRS who will eventually issue a paper check.

• STEVEN F

No, A STATE refund can't be returned to the IRS.

You do nothing. You wait.

Eventually, the bank should reject the deposit, and then the state should send you a paper check by mail. This will not be quick, and you cannot do anything to make it faster. You simply have to give it time.

In the HIGHLY LIKELY event that the number you put isn't a valid account number for your bank, they reject the deposit. Once that happens, the state SHOULD issue a check mailed to the address on your return.

Note: ALL banks have a 'check digit' built into account numbers to prevent mistakes in your account number from resulting in valid account numbers.

Call the IRS, it either failed or went into someone else's account.  Hopefully they send you a really nice Christmas thank you card.

• STEVEN F

The IRS has NOTHING to do with a STATE refund.

call the tax place and tell them you made a mistake and ask them to fix it

• Eva

It can't be fixed after it has been filed.

• martin

Although tax offices and banks are busy, the shortest route now is to call the tax office first and then call the bank.

• Judy

Well no, if you messed up the number, it won't be deposited. The bank will send it back, and the state will mail you a check. You don't have to, and can't, do anything.

• DONALD2 months agoReport

thank you so much for telling me that Ms. Judy.
      However, when I check the Refund Status, it says that they have already issued my refund (as of today 02/18/2020) "We've issued your refund" "amount of refund issued $_____" "Refund issued as a bank deposit"...

Perhaps you should not troll on a sock puppet account.

If your story were true and you had a lick of common sense, you'd know what to do.

you avoid asking for advice online, then admit you messed up and deal with it