promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 2 months ago

Messed up my State Tax Return.?

After 3 weeks passed from filing my taxes, I just realized I made an error on my Savings Account Number. I had the correct routing number, but I did not realize the account number did not match.

I just checked the filing status on TAXHAWK, and it said they delivered it yesterday! But there's NO SIGN of my state tax return in my banking/savings account.

What do I do??

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The money will be sent back to the State by the bank. They normally then mail a paper check.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Wait for your refund to be returned to IRS who will eventually issue a paper check.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

No, A STATE refund can't be returned to the IRS.

• 2 months ago

You do nothing. You wait.

Eventually, the bank should reject the deposit, and then the state should send you a paper check by mail. This will not be quick, and you cannot do anything to make it faster. You simply have to give it time.

• 2 months ago

In the HIGHLY LIKELY event that the number you put isn't a valid account number for your bank, they reject the deposit. Once that happens, the state SHOULD issue a check mailed to the address on your return.

Note: ALL banks have a 'check digit' built into account numbers to prevent mistakes in your account number from resulting in valid account numbers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Call the IRS, it either failed or went into someone else's account.  Hopefully they send you a really nice Christmas thank you card.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

The IRS has NOTHING to do with a STATE refund.

• 2 months ago

call the tax place and tell them you made a mistake and ask them to fix it

• Eva
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

It can't be fixed after it has been filed.

• martin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Although tax offices and banks are busy, the shortest route now is to call the tax office first and then call the bank.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Well no, if you messed up the number, it won't be deposited. The bank will send it back, and the state will mail you a check. You don't have to, and can't, do anything.

• DONALD2 months agoReport

thank you so much for telling me that Ms. Judy.
      However, when I check the Refund Status, it says that they have already issued my refund (as of today 02/18/2020) "We've issued your refund" "amount of refund issued $_____" "Refund issued as a bank deposit"...

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Perhaps you should not troll on a sock puppet account.

If your story were true and you had a lick of common sense, you'd know what to do.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

you avoid asking for advice online, then admit you messed up and deal with it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.