promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How should I clean the inside of my saxophone?

The inside of my saxophone has, I guess dried spit, I can't really tell what it is, but there's even some blue spots. I even hear some sand type noises when I rotate my sax. So I can tell that it definitely needs to be cleaned or something. What's the best way to thoroughly clean all of that out?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Go on line to "care of wind instruments" or visit a store that sells instruments and ask questions.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

To remove those loose particle - like sand? - in you bell, try canned air, or a gentle vacuum setting.  To remove what might be mildew, mold (does it smell?) use a barely damp microfiber cloth.  NEVER get anything wet on your sax! 

I had a friend in music conservatory who had an old Cousenon tenor.  The front of the bell had a draped lady - like you would see on the front of an old whaling ship! - with her hair billowing up to the edge of the bell.  A lot of the lacquer was gone - and growing OUT of the bell, and into her hair, was greenish sea-weed colored mold . . .  Most of us found this cringe-worthy - he found it charming and nostalgic.  None of this could be healthy . . .

• 1 month ago

You take off the neck and run an appropriate type cleaning rag through it. You should use an appropriate cleaning kit that can be purchased at a musical instrument store.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.