Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Did I hurt my car by doing this (transmission)?

So I'm learning to drive. I've done very well so far. Today I had a little hiccup though. I wanted to check to see if maybe I could have hurt my car based on this scenario.

I had done my usual cruising and went to practice parking at a school. They were actually having some extracurricular activities tonight so it gave me a chance to practice being near other cars when parking which started off good. Well, I parked by one of them and trouble started when I went to back out. I started off ok, but I pushed the gas a little too hard which scared me since I was in reverse (I was afraid of going out of control and hitting another car). My mom started screaming at me really loud to hit the brake so I hurried and did that and also I panicked a little so I shoved it in park real fast without coming to a stop.

I have an automatic transmission. I've heard if you jam your gears around like that you will break your transmission. I also hear transmission work is super expensive. Did I hurt my transmission with what I did? I heard if you do stuff like that you'll "drop" your transmission? What does that mean and did that happen?

I did not hear any noises when I did this. No grinding or screaming/screeching. I didn't smell anything either and my car is not leaking anything. I was able to finish practicing without issue and my mom drove the car home without a single issue.

So surely if I hurt something we would have known immediately, right?

That was my first "big" mess up. I felt very panicky when my mom started screaming to hit the brake. I I thought I was doing something wrong and pushed the gas hard enough to crash or start spinning out of control since I was in reverse. I just wanted to stop the car because I got scared by her reaction and was scared I was going to bump another car. I just hope the car isn't damaged. It didn't make any noise when I was fixing the issue or when I finished my lesson or on the way home.

Like I said - I've heard you will know pretty much immediately if your transmission is going out or already shot. I've heard if you hurt your gears or act too aggressive with them they'll make awful noises to let you know. I heard nothing. It was fine the rest of the lesson and it was fine going home. No noises or issues. I'm just worried I hurt my car.

My car isn't super new but it isn't super old either. It is a 2009. It is a Ford also. I've heard some cars are "smart enough" to know when an accidental mistake like this happens and won't actually let the gears switch like that to prevent damage. Is that true? Would mine be in this category?

I definitely don't plan to do that ever again, trust me. I knew it was wrong and felt bad/stupid after it happened. I just got caught up and scared with my mom yelling at me so bad to hit the brake. I do want to get cones too. I think it'll help me practice being around "things not to hit" aka other cars and I will want them to practice my driver's license test too since the test uses cones for maneuverability.

Favorite Answer

It's probably fine, just try not to do that anymore. Start practicing in a vacant parking lot with cones, not real cars and people around.

Just braking should have done the trick instead of slamming the transmission into park. If park still works, you escaped damage, but if it no longer holds the car still, your mom is gonna whip your butt for the damage. It will cost a ton to fix, but the car will work without it.

Transmissions don't "drop". It's pretty hard to just take one out even, since a lot of parts hold it in. It didn't help you to be screamed at in a panic, but some people do that when they're scared. There are extreme situations though, where you must take immediate action to avoid disaster that some people don't get unless they're screamed at. Now you know. Keep your head and work on getting used to controlling the car . Watch out becoming too confident, because there will be other times somebody jumps in the way or does something else really stupid but you must go to your extreme to not crash. You'll see what I mean and you'll get more used to it. Find a medium between watching out for that and being calm enough to not be going all herky-jerky in bad traffic. If you mess up you will get beeped, and be thankful when it happens that it's just a beep and not a crash. Practice, and practice more. Tell your mom you're sorry for scaring her.

I broke a transmission bell housing years ago (a TH-400 with a 454 engine) when the drive shaft threw the front u-joint and the front knuckle hit the multiple layers of metal on the undercarriage and locked up the tranny while doing 90 MPH. I doubt you boogered anything up at parking lot speeds.

• martin

You will know when the transmission has to be replaced, usually from driving in low gear with an automatic transmission, while going up and down hills, or when carrying an extra heavy load. Your slight, brief errors aren't enough to break a transmission.

i would hope not, maybe you should get a mechanic to check it out