The USA Flu Virus Death Rate much higher than the Corona Virus does. As a US Residents or Citizen, which virus cause you worry more?

• Edna

As a U.S. citizen, neither the flu virus nor the corona virus nor any other air-borne virus worriy me much at all. 

If you are not worried Edna then prove it. Go to Wuhan China, and don't wear anything to protect your body then lets see if you change your mind after you fall ill, and I suppose you know what will happen next. FYI....I won't dig a hole to put your body in it if you just, so happen to die from the coronavirus. Since you are from the US then it might take a while before you start seeing people wearing masks. I already seen some people wearing masks in my country, so I think it should take a while before more people start wearing it.

The coronavirus has spread to different countries, so the USA isn't the only country that has it, and it's the same thing with the flu. I think the Coronavirus worries me more than the flu. The flu eventually goes away. I have not read, or heard anything about the coronavirus going away from the human body once someone is infected with it.

• Edna

The corona virus is no different from any other air-borne virus, such as the flu. You get it; you feel sick for about a week or so; and then it clears itself (or "goes away") from your body.  A corona virus does NOT remain in your body. 

At this time, since this coronavirus is so unknown, it is more "worrisome." One of the first victims in China, was a 34 year-old doctor, who blew the whistle about it. Most people who are 34 don't die from most strains of seasonal flu. And usually flu virus is preventable with an annual flu vaccination. Most deaths from the flu are due to secondary complications, such as turning into pneumonia. That's what this coronavirus is, a type of pneumonia, so if you catch it, you're already in a higher risk for fatality than just having a flu that although can definitely be deadly, and is, it something that is better understood, whereas this coronavirus is not well understood, and so if it were to become more of a pandemic, then it will definitely be a serious concern. It already is. And already a pandemic in China.

That said, any infectious disease, flu, coronavirus, even TB, are all "worrisome." Most people don't realize TB is the biggest world wide killer, as far as infectious communicable diseases go, and has been for hundreds of years. It has never gone away, and although we have antibiotics now, the Mycobacterium that causes TB has always been tough to treat (usually requiring at least a month of combination of strong antibiotics) and is starting to become resistant to many of the antibiotics commonly used to treat it.

• martin

Those statistics have been hammered home in the news stories lately, but it's hard to imagine dying of the flu. People get it quite often.

i think theyre both equally bad

• KatieC

The flu has killed more people because it has infected more SO FAR. The coronavirus has a higher death RATE. Meaning if the same amount of people get the coronavirus and the flu, the coronavirus will kill many more. As a US citizen, I’m more worried about the coronavirus because the flu has either already peaked or is peaking while we have no idea what the coronavirus will do. It could peak today, be contained, and clear out, or it could spread like crazy in our country and never go away.

theyre both equally bad

• KatieC

Why. Just why. Why do you need two accounts to post the same pointless answer?

corona because there is a vaccine for the flu...

• samiamrd

Edna, your understanding of the flu vaccine is lacking.  The vaccine is a killed version of the flue serotypes that a committee thinks will be infecting the population in the next flu season.  So yes it prevents certain types of the flu, but not all types..