I received a check for what could be called temporary work. It was in NJ. I live in NY. What are the check cashing rules in NJ?

I was told that in New Jersey there are only 5 days from when you first receive a check for you to cash it at a check cashing establishment. Otherwise the check cashing establishment would not cash it because of some legal regulation or maybe a common practice with check-cashing establishments.

It is possible to cash the check with a bank though.

Anyone know about this? Are there regulations in New Jersey prohibiting check cashing places from cashing checks that are 5 days past the date of being issued?

Anyone know if this applies for New York or even other states? Anyone know where i can find information about it?

Whoever told you that was wrong.  Just go the any branch where you have an account and cash the check.

• Judy

With a bank you'd have 6 month unless something different was printed on the check.