promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

The screws on the side of an iPhone are plentiful in China but would cost $1,000 each to make in America....?

If iPhones are made in America, it would cost $2,000 JUST TO MAKE THE SCREWS, forget the iPhone itself.

Is this not a concern if you support someone who promises to “bring manufacturing jobs back to America”?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The cost of producing a few is something is always more than the cost of producing millions of the thing.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard.  If there are, say, six screws in an iPhone, it might cost $2000 to make just those six screws.  But the way they make screws is with a 'screw machine', and you can get them here just as easily as in China, and they cost about the same to operate in either country.  Once the machine is set up and running, it runs totally unsupervised and spits out about 100 screws a minute, and they cost 2-3 cents apiece, if that.  The real savings of manufacturing in China is labor, but little iPhone screws are not a labor-intensive thing.

But you're totally right about bringing back manufacturing.  We made a decision AS A COUNTRY to export our manufacturing, about 40 years ago.  Since then our factories have deteriorated into rusted hulks, or been torn down altogether.  We no longer have workers skilled in manufacturing operations.  You can't just throw a switch or give an order and the lines will magically start up again.  It's reasonable to believe it would take 40 years to get back to where we were 40 years ago.

Trump's talk of bringing back hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs in a year, or even in his four-year term, is nonsense.  Just as his talk of saving coal mining jobs is nonsense.  People believe him because they don't have critical listening skills, and because he says what they want to hear.

• Goerge
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I can make any screw for $10 and under with a tap and die or for proprietary types my lathe gets the job done. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That's why you automate, cheap labor inhibits this.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • I don't think your claims are accurate.

• Goerge
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Doesn't Trump use a $67,500 turlet? He designed the bathroom himself and loves showing it off to everybody.  

• 2 months ago

a tiny screw wouldn't cost $1000 to make you in America you freaking moron

• Ro
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Dear GOD!

No wonder left-wingers always side with the Chinese and their use of slave labor! God-forbid they have to pay a "living wage" to an American worker!

• Jim
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I think you have a few loose screws.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.