Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 2 months ago

Do you think neurotipicals Inherently hate autistic people?

Without knowing what autism is. I think there's something hardwired into the neurotipical brain to have disdain for autistic people regardless of whether one knows the target is autism or whether people know what autism is or not

I think it's something that pushed people to even kill eachother. Autistic people have always been rejected and discarded even back then before people know what autism was

Severely autistics were labeled as retards wheras high autistics were seen as losers

I'm not sure if individual people are hard wired that way, but I know that American society most certainly is. That's why Autism is so heavily stigmatized, especially in adults. It's dangerous to be "different" in America. And the fact that Autistic people are "different" is what most people without Autism react to and use as an excuse to hate others who are.

• Lost1 month agoReport

Yeah right. What's the general life expectancy of someone with autism in America? Is it true that autistic adults are denied every chance of employment there and they end up killing themselves due to loneliness and poverty or both thereof.

I think it is hardwired in the brain to be wary of things that are new/different/difficult to understand. In that way, I would say 'kinda.' I don't think it is autistic people specific hatred, but probably discomfort with not knowing how to relate or address the needs of people with autism (or autistic people if you prefer that way of saying). There are reasons we are like that (and even autistic people may not prefer new and different situations). One is that the brain has to work harder, so it codes new experiences with a more negative bias, and familiar ones with a more positive one. The other reason is that there is more potential danger with situations and people with high degrees of uncertainty. You may see people who are less comfortable with difference/uncertainty trying to reject the object of that stress, so as not to have to engage with it. It's partly a survival instinct. Long ago, if a person heard a rustle in the bushes and was on guard or ran away, rather than investigate, they stood a better chance of surviving and passing on their genes. Maybe the rustle was just a bird, but maybe it was a tiger. We are descended from the ones that survived, so that was a higher proportion of people who ran away from the unknown rather than the ones who took their chances on it being a tiger.