Can deaf people hear themselves talk?

I’m a writer, and I thought it would be interesting and fun to write a character who is deaf! This character that I’m planning does not get the chance to learn proper sign language because the world is fantasy, so it doesn’t exist! So I was wondering if when my character talks, would he be able to hear himself in his head? When I talk and plug my ears i can hear it, but would it be the same for deaf people? (Or at least some because everyone is different)

Also, might I add, he had a head injury at the age of around ten, so he has heard before and was not born deaf.

(I’m sorry if this offends anyone... I didn’t mean this to be seen as offensive I just couldn’t find a direct answer to this particular question online. I don’t expect any of my writing to be published I just write for my own enjoyment and as a way to express my creativity and ideas. I’m also just curious as to weather or not it’s possible to hear/feel their own physical voice. Once again I apologize, and if you don’t like this than will happily rewrite my character, I just thought it fun to do)

Favorite Answer

Lincoln, this is a dreadful place to begin research.

Of course you want to get it right. That means you need to talk to deaf people and their family, friends, and colleagues. Find forums where they gather online, and tell them you're a writer who wants to get his deaf character accurately. It's common for people to be quite helpful if you treat them like the experts they are.

Russ is right about many people not thinking in ways that equate to words. There was a huge discussion about this on Twitter, and it got especially interesting when writers and other "word people" chimed in. (While I *can* think in words when I'm mentally writing, I'm usually abstract. Many writers I know online, people with dozens of books, cannot think in words at all.)

You also need to think about how someone who loses hearing after having it would attempt to communicate. Does this world have writing? Can he read and write? How would he tell someone he can't hear them? How would he ask for what he needs--food, work, a place to stay, directions, a healer, ale? What is the basic attitude in this world toward people who have a disability? Does it change if it shows or doesn't?

There's lots you need to work out before writing a character unable to hear.

• Lincoln3 months agoReport

Okay thank you, I’m sorry

not at all in my opinion

Lincoln, I thought your question was entirely legitimate, but that your use of the word 'fun' possibly gave people the wrong idea before they'd even read what you were asking.

There is no reason to re-write a deaf character just because some people misunderstood your question about one aspect of deafness.

• bluebellbkk

No, it's OK, no need to keep apologising. As I say, I thought the question itself was perfectly fine, but just be a bit more careful about your choice of words.

• Marli

My question to you is "Why is there no form of sign language in your fantasy world?"  It would not be American Sign Language (ASL) of course, but any civilization would invent a means to communicate with its deaf citizens: writing, drawing, or moving their hands and facial expressions.

• Lincoln3 months agoReport

And it’s more based around medieval times, so He would use sign language, i was just also wondering if I could have him physically talk as well so it wouldn’t repeatedly be “‘would you like to come?’ I signed to her.” If that makes any sense? But if you disagree I’m sure I could figure out more ways

No Lincsy, they can't. That would be very silly. You just haven't thought it through properly, you very awful person, you. Deaf people "see" themselves talk, because of the way the visual centre in their brain is heightened compared with audio "normals". They "see" words, sentences and paragraphs projected directly into their visual fields - a form of natural, augmented reality, as it were - which is what makes them great writers. It's a little known fact, but all the great writers are/were totally deaf. Anyway, hope this helped and it's probably better if you don't write about this. Bye.

Actually it depends on how long they’ve been deaf and how profound their deafness is.  If they’ve been deaf since birth they’ve never heard language.  Their brain doesn’t know what words sound like so they couldn’t talk to themselves in any way.  They may have a concept in their head but no absolutely not way to really express it to themselves or to anyone else - especially if they have no other language like sign language.  

My sister was born deaf.  She now has cochlear implants but she has to take YEARS of speech therapy before getting them.  And once she got them, she could hear words but her brain still had to learn and practice how to process those sounds into words with meaning so additional months of therapy.  That’s part of the reason why cochlear implants don’t work for every deaf person.

ETA - Just read your update.  I suppose he could “hear” words in his head but his comprehension would be limited to what he knew before he went deaf.  The vocabulary in his head would be limited to that of a 10-year-old.  He also may not have the language to express more complex ideas, feelings or concepts.

• Lincoln3 months agoReport

Okay! Thank you very much!

• Ludwig

Yes. But - can they hear themselves fart?

• Lincoln3 months agoReport

Lol! I’d think not... but they’d probably feel it, yes?

First thing you need to understand is that not all people with hearing actually have a dialog going on their head. Some people think totally abstractly and some think all in words and most probably do at least little be of both.

• Lincoln3 months agoReport

Okay! Thank you!

No, deaf people cannot hear, even if they stop up their ears. Please don't write about something you really know nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, about, or do some real research.

• bluebellbkk

Just jumping in here on behalf of Lincoln. I thought his question was entirely legitimate. He KNOWS deaf people can't hear in the way the word usually means. He was wondering whether there's some way they could hear THEMSELVES, inside their own head.