Seth asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Can depression cause someone to stop talking?

Favorite Answer

Yes.  Could be many factors.  When I've been depressed, it was a lot of effort to be social, and even talking to others could be exhausting.  There is also this difficult spot where you want to let people know how you feel, but they don't usually respond in a helpful way (either pull away or try to fix), so I didn't want to bother.  I also didn't like to feel like I was a burden, but negativity was all I could offer, so I tended to retreat from engaging with others.  You know the saying 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?' Well because of my mood, I didn't have anything nice to say, so I tended to just not talk at all.

Yeah, cause they obviously won't be in the mood to talk. 

You absolutely can, when I was in middle school I knew this kid that was so depressed from being bullied he choose to stop talking for months, depression can effect people in a number of ways.

absolutely! depression causes all kinds of isolation. I wouldn't say because somebody stops talking to you that would 100% mean theyre depressed. However if you noticed a significant change out of nowhere they may be dealing with some form of mental illness. Depressed people usually feel the need to "escape from society" Or a world that to them feels can't understand them. When really they need to socialize to get them over the hump.