Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

Should I stay with my boyfriend?

So I’m pregnant with my boyfriend baby. And for the last 5 months he hasn’t got a job and Barley tries for one. He doesn’t care about me or the baby health because all he does is smoke around me when I tell him constantly I do not want to breath that nasty chemicals in and I explain to him how harmful it is to the baby. I love him very much and he isn’t a bad person. It’s just he needs to grow up especially since we have a baby coming soon and it’s like he doesn’t want to grow up and become an adult. I just don’t know what to do anymore. You’d think he’d step up. But he doesn’t 

How old is this boyfriend? If he's younger than 23 or so, then you're wasting your breath. Guys usually don't WAKE UP and think "Oh my god i have responsibilities!" until they are in their mid-20's and sometimes a bit older. Probably because our brains don't fully develop until then so we are often times impulsive and not very "on the ball".

I had my son when i was 19. I put myself through college (partial help from a federal grant), started a career and raised my son alone. It was a struggle those first several years, but all worth it in the end. I'm only telling you this, because you can do this, too if you want. If the boyfriend sticks around, he does.

I wouldn't live with the guy, though. He'd have to be on his own and he could still date me and see his child, but there would be no way he'd live under my roof until he manned up and showed a sense of responsibility and willingness to help take care of things.

I'm also thinking he's scared shitless about this pregnancy too.

• Alan H

How do you think he will support his child?

Rather late to ask, but why did you choose to get pregnant  

It's simple

You chose your child here! You are a mother now, you don't have time to sit around and play the "what if" game with your boyfriend when it comes to him getting or not getting his act together. 

Time to move out, get your own place and focus on raising your child (of course he can see his child whenever), if and when he decides to grow up and be an adult then is the time to re-consider things with him, but until then your sole focus is on your child.

Neither of you should even consider having children. Seriously.