Should I settle for a job at Walmart?

I have been looking for work since graduating college, I feel like there's nothing out there for me. I've applied to every job known to man, and my situation is just getting worse. I feel embarrassed because I came this far just to settle for a cashier job at walmart. I'm thinking about just burning my degrees because I don't think they matter in this world, I feel lied to and misled. We were told to get a college education, and now that we have one, no work is available. I don't know what to do anymore. 😢😢

• KaleyK
    Favorite Answer

There is absolutely nothing wrong with any job at Walmart.  Wrong is bailing out and living on the sidewalk while begging for change.

I get that Walmart is not your desired career path. Sometimes we have to do grunt work until an opportunity opens up.  Don't ever give up on your career aim.  Work at Walmart and at the same time work on improving your skills and talents in your chose field.

• Lady2 months agoReport

Thanks for the advice. 

I honestly would say no. I’ve at Walmart and it was fine at first. I was a regular associate in the toys/sporting goods department. Then after the department for toys got fired, I applied and got the job since I was the most the most experience in the toys department. It was five until I got they started giving me tasks the assistant managers were supposed to do. The store was a mess and I had no associates, I tried my best to make sure my outs were counted and my bins were clear. I eventually started slacking off, got into arguments with management and called off every week. I decided to quit and luckily I found another job a week later that pays more even though I’m thinking of quitting this one but that’s another story. 

So yeah I would not recommend working for Walmart but who knows, maybe your store will have more order and fairness for the employees? 

• Lady2 months agoReport

Thank you for the honesty. I think most of these people were just answering for the hell of it. My cousin works there and she doesn't enjoy it at all and my uncle retired from there, and he hated it. 

• Hockey

So, what is your degree in?

And what would your alternative be if you say no to Walmart? Begging?

well if you take a Job even a part time one at walmart then you can look for other work on your days off, 

For some reason Just having a job statistially increases your chance of getting a better job by 50%

God bless

• Lady2 months agoReport

Thank you.

You don't say what your degree was in--it might be that your degree is less helpful in the job market because it is not a degree companies favor. OR it might be better if you were looking in another location rather than your present one. OR it might be that you have some deficiencies in your methods of seeking employment. Since few details were provided, it's not easy to diagnose what the issue might be. However--no job, even a job at Wal-Mart, should be frowned upon. When you are a new job-seeker, experience counts for a great deal, no matter what that experience is. Even volunteer work or unpaid internships are counted. How much experience in actual work do you have? Is it none or only a little? That may be what is hampering your search more than anything else. 

I have a few tips for you: (1) have your resume evaluated by a neutral party--perhaps someone who may not be looking for an employee, but will let you know what employers want to see. Try to follow their advice if they tell you there re problems or negatives with your resume. Keep it to one page--no references--no hobbies--no "objective"--no GPA-- and only the work experience you actually NEED for the job you're seeking. You don't need to explain any times you weren't working. 

(2) dress well for any interviews. It doesn't mean dress UP--it means dress conservatively, in clean, pressed clothes. You don't have to make some kind of impression--only dress well enough NOT to make a NEGATIVE one. 

(3) Look up the questions you might be asked during an interview and try to formulate TRUE, but concise and well-mannered responses. NEVER EVER LIE on your resume or during an interview. 

(4) Get your name and resume on as many sites and in as many places as possible. Networking does work--if you pursue it. 

Remember: a degree doesn't guarantee you anything, least of which is a job somewhere. Don't be too discouraged yet--if you graduated recently, you need to give the search plenty of time, and plenty of effort. It will eventually pay off. Don't turn down something simply because it's not in your degree field yet--you may only need actual employment experience to turn things around. Good luck and god bless. 

Source(s): I was a personnel manager and worked in HR for 30 years.

So far it pays your bills. That's dignity of labour.

• Steve2 months agoReport

From my experience, subways always wants people from Monday to Friday. They give you good hours, but I would imagine you have to be extremely disciplined and willing to work with the owner. Many subways I have applied to and interviewed with or talked on the phone with her Indians or hindu. I

"Not enough experience." That's not new news to me. I can bypass that on my own, but apparently you can't. Currently I think you should burn your degrees!

It seems to me you have good degrees, but what you don't know is how to use what you learned. I really think you should burn your degrees, and find a job that you can realistically do.

I am not expecting, or wanting someone else to help me like you are. I am using what I learned to help myself!!!

You want to move up the ladder, but have you done anything yet with what you learned to make that happen?

If you don't do anything with the knowledge that you acquired then you might as well try to apply, for a cashier job, or maybe flipping burgers, or fries at a restaurant.

Currently I am working on some projects, so I CAN TRY TO MOVE UP THE LADDER. I am trying to do something with what I learned!!!

I can see you are limiting yourself in finding work. It's to bad you can't see that too! You are only looking at your prospects from one, and only one perspective when there is actually probably more than one.

If you were to carefully reread everything I said then you should see that I never said anything about applying, for jobs. I said what I am doing with my time a little bit further up.

Unfortunately not everyone who attends, and then graduates from college is able to succeed in life. It's what we do with our knowledge that matters. That piece of paper that was given to you is only a piece of paper, and it's suppose to be a reminder of what you learned at school. :)

That piece of paper that was given to you won't give you a job. Because getting a job in your field is something that you have to figure out how to get on your own.

I know how you feel. I am also having a hard time just like you, but I won't give up. I am thinking of ways that I can get work in my field.

If you want to give up, and say I have been lied to, and misled, and you want to work as a cashier then go ahead. If you want to burn your degrees then go ahead.

• Lady2 months agoReport

I never said I WANTED to work as a cashier. I did when I was 17, but i'm not a kid anymore. I want to move up the ladder in life, but the ladder just keeps getting higher and higher. Please read my entire post.

Well, you could start at Walmart. I was ten years out of college and working in a mostly clerical position and considered becoming a long-haul truck driver but eventually things went very well. You could work at Walmart and keep looking for other work.

A job at Walmart is better than no job and a good starting point.

Sure, take that job. You can keep looking for another job that you are more suited too, in your off hours.

You could get the walmart job just to get by then keep applying to better stuff.

• Steve1 month agoReport

What are better stuff to you?