Where is the spare tire in a 1996 Toyota Tacoma????????

I bought a '96 Tacoma with extended cab a month ago and printed 175 pages worth of manual off the internet but don't see a word about where a spare tire could be located. Does it even have one? I've tried to find it myself but to no avail so far. Does anyone have one of these trucks and know where to look? I asked someone who has a 2003 Tacoma and he doesn't know where his is either!

• Larry

I have a 2012 Volvo and it didn't come with a spare tire. I was told then that vehicles don't come with spare tires anymore. I didn't believe him, but I guess it's true. 

It is mounted under the bed of your truck, just beside the rear bumper. Open the storage area on the floor behind the passenger seat. In there you will find the jack, tire iron and jack handle. Put the jack handle together, 3 pieces, and slide the hooked end into the slot dead center of the rear plate, between the plate and tailgate. It should go in about 10 inches. crank the handle counter clock wise to lower the tire.

Some foreign cars don't even come with a spare tire, it's an optional accessory. Call the local 'yota dealer and ask them.

The spare tire is under the bed.  If it is not there, get a tire and mount one.   The tools are under the rear seats.

Its under the back of the bed. It's on a cable that cranks down with the crank in the tire change kit. Instructions are in the kit. There's also videos on youtube. The kit is behind or under one of the seats.

The cable and winch are likely to have rusted and may not work. It may require brute force and penetrating oil to get it to budge.

Most pickup trucks (and many SUV's and Vans) store the spare tire under the back of the vehicle. Meaning walk to the back bumper, kneel down, and look underneath.

Its probably on a bar that swings down. There is usually 1 bolt that holds it up, and it will be the same size as the lug nuts on the wheels so that you can use the same lug wrench to unscrew it as you'll need for changing the tire.

Once you remove that nut it should pivot down (the other side of the bar is a hinge). Then once the tire is down there is probably one more bolt holding it in place so it can't bounce off that bar.

• arther

look underneath behind the towbar. Lucky you checked it was there before you brought the vehicle

• Truthbeatslies

I needed the vehicle in a hurry. It was an emergency. I didn't have time to ask about many things so am just now getting around to it. Thank you for your response, though.

• Erik

Look under the floor of your trunk.  If it's not there, it means there isn't one.  Call the dealership and ask them.

• Erik

that's what I meant.  It's obviously not going to be under the passenger seat, or under the hood.