Kathy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Did I do the right thing?

A party was held at our house that consisted of our extended family over the weekend. I've been sitting on one end of the couch while my sister ate her dinner on the opposite end; I forget who was sitting between us. My sister got up to put her plate & utensils in the sink. When my sister was like 5 feet away from her spot, one of our cousins quickly hopped in her seat. When our cousin realized she sat in my sister's seat, she offered to get up and sit somewhere else. Although all the furniture was filled, I told my cousin to say in that seat. When my sister was like, "She offered to get up," I told her to find another place to sit. Everyone at the party needed to be seated in the living room in order to play the game together after dinner. I didn't say this out loud but I had my cousin not give my sister her seat back because our cousin was company.

• Cara
    Favorite Answer

Yes, you did!   

• Jerry

In the question of "Shall my sister give up her seat to our cousin?" it should be your sister, not YOU, making the decision. You were wrong to take it upon yourself to make this decision for your sister. You should have simply stated the facts: "My sister will be coming back right away and might want her seat back." 

Yes, but you could have been nicer to your sister by explaining your position as the hosts, reminding her that your cousin was your (and your sister's) guest.  While unspecific in your explanation I got a sense you were dismissive with your sister, and that can be rude.

Ultimately, you did what made sense to you. Your sister not sharing your perspective does not automatically suggest one opinion is better/greater than the others, simply two different approaches to a social situation.

Well, maybe your sister doesn't know how to go get a kitchen or dining room chair and bring it to the living room?