CG asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

In horses, can I use Quest dewormer, then Ivermectin about a week later?

(horses with poor worming history, live worms spotted in feces)!

Update: Thank you all.  I'm consulting a vet tomorrow.

• Snezzy

We would start with fenbendazole (Safeguard) and would probably at some point give the five-day double-dose that is said to be able to get rid of encysted small strongyles. 

¶ The other answers suggesting that a strong dewormer is a bad idea are right on target. 

¶ If the horse is worth anything, and you're not stuck trying last-ditch efforts on a probable goner, you should first have your veterinarian do an evaluation.

• Joe

In a horse with a history of poor deworming and an obvious infestation?

ABSOLUTELY NOT !!

You'll create a huge die-off of the parasites; enough to induce colic.

Get a recommendation from your large animal vet.  Chances are that (s)he will recommend a low dose of some less powerful product to clear part of the parasite load with the first administration.

No matter what the drug, monitor your horse's vital signs after administration.  You don't want to kill him with kindness.

Both of these wormers are incredibly strong drugs, and should be used with caution in horses that are extremely debilitated or which have high worm loads the way these animals do. I'd also use caution in giving them within a week of each other. It might be better to give them a month apart. But check with your vet about this.

Yes you can give ivermectin with moxidectin.   I personally wouldn't though unless directed by the vet.

Standard of care is to run a fecal to see what needs to be treated, then treat accordingly.

The days of auto-deworming by guess are over.   It's better for the horse and also helps tackle parasite resistance problem.  

Take a fresh fecal to your vet, then use what the vet says based on what the horse actually has. 

• CG2 months agoReport

Thanks. It's a difficult situation as my mom wants to be in control of the horses, but she only wants to deworm one of them :( (my elderly gelding).  Now one of the others obviously has adult worms -so of course they all do.  I guess she may just have to get mad at me, but we need vet help. Ugh.