promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

My husband has passed away.  I cannot find the pink slip to our care and I would also like to transfer title to my nephew.?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • May
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

You need a valid title.  You or the executor of the estate should Simply apply for a duplicate title ("pink slip")

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can file for a replacement title for a fee, assuming it was in your name too. Probably in person at the DMV.

• 2 months ago

You will have to get to the BMV and tell them what's what and they will tell you what to do.

• 2 months ago

If the car was registered/titled in your name:

Go to the DMV or whichever agency issues pink slips for cars in your state. Tell them you lost it and apply for a replacement.

If the car was registered or titled in your husband's name:

The executor of the estate has to determine who is entitled to inherit the car, which may or may not be you, and then the executor of the estate has to get a new pink slip issued to that person.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

If you are the executor of the estate simply go to the tag office and say the title and the registration have been lost I'm the executor of the estate please send us a new title and registration and once you get it you can sign it and turn it over to whoever you please

• 2 months ago

You would need the title. If you are not named on the title, you cannot give it away. Someone will have to hire an attorney and file for probate. If there is no Will, the judge decides who gets what.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You apply for a duplicate title.  It's just that simple.

• 2 months ago

I'm sorry for your loss.

Start by looking up your state's department of vehicle licensing and look for information about obtaining a lost title.

You will also need to know and understand your state's probate laws. If the car was in your husband's name you need to go through probate before you can claim ownership.

If it was jointly owned then you can probably claim full ownership with his death certificate.

Your best option is probably to go to a local vehicle licensing office and have them walk you through it. There should be a way to obtain a new title AND change ownership in one step. This saves you from having to pay for a lost title and an ownership transfer.

• KaleyK
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Every state has a process to secure a lost title.  In most states you can engineer a change of owner at the same time.  Your best option is go to your local DMV with a death certificate and any other related documents ... a will, power of attorney, etc.  The DMV staff can help you through the process.

• 2 months ago

Most states have a way for you to get a copy of the title.  Contact your county DMV.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.