Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Can someone please help me work through these thoughts?

I'm embarrassed to say that I need to go over this on the internet with complete strangers, but I honestly don't know what else to do. 

I recently just started getting help for severe mental health issues that I have had for my entire life. I've gone to therapy a few times over the years and always got some vague diagnosis like generalized anxiety or depression. But it always felt like something was missing or that I wasn't explaining myself or being understood correctly. Because my symptoms change, sometimes I strongly relate to OCD symptoms and sometimes I don't. I almost always had an extreme social phobia. But it never felt like my therapist "got" it. 

Last week, I was finally diagnosed with avoidant personality disorder, which gave way to social anxiety disorder, which gave way to OCD, all of which gave way to depression. 

For the first time ever, I felt understood and all these years of suffering and social isolation made sense. 

But now, I checked my patient portal and it only says I have OCD. And I again feel misunderstood and maybe cheated of that clarity. But the more I think about it, the more I worry that I only wanted that diagnosis for the sake of having the role of "sick person" or like I want attention or something. Maybe I am just lying to myself and all of this is just made up in my head. 

Is there a reason why a psychiatrist wouldn't report a diagnosis? Am I crazy or attention seeking? 

Thank you for tolerating me. 

• Lisa M
    Favorite Answer

Well, I'm not a doctor but it seems you do have anxiety. You are not crazy. And asking for help is good. I feel sad that you feel you need to go through life apologizing for just being you. 'Thank you for tolerating me' shows that your parents didn't treat you like the important and talented person you are. 

Let me just say that I suffer from anxiety, depression and OCD. Maybe you helped me today by mentioning the Avoidance Disorder. Maybe that's what I have. It certainly seems so. My social phobia may be way more than just a phobia. So you helped me today. 

As far as the diagnosis goes, perhaps there is a policy not to report some things on the portal or maybe the doctor forgot. Both of which is probably not a good idea and seems kind of careless. 

If you think that having it on your file is vital, then maybe call your doctor and ask why. In the meantime, try not to pigeon hole yourself. We are so much more than our illness. Be gentle with yourself as you would if you had any other illness. 

• Not at all in my opinion

I can tell this is not attention-seeking behavior based on the very first sentence. If you were seeking attention you wouldn't feel embarrassed.

I don't know if you are crazy or attention seeking or something else.

Why does the diagnosis on line matter to you?

Truly it sounds like you're  confuse and conflicted. It's like you want to be diagnosed but only with whatever sickness you believe you're going at the moment and when you're diagnosed differently you get disappointed and somehow you come up or convince yourself tht you're having a different or a certain symptom you can relate to another cause.

Truly this is all your mind doing and playing games with you. I'm no doctor but you really need to realize that you're the one in control of your emotions and you have to convince yourself that you don't need to be labeled to feel better.. 

Get in touch with your spiritual self do things that'll make you feel better mentally. Don't just sit around (not literally ) and wait to be diagnosed only to be taking hundreds of pills and with a label on your forehead saying mentally incapable. Because you're not especially since you already figured out what you're doing.

• Lisa M
      1 month agoReport

K. Your comments are completely irresponsible.

I completely understand your need for recognition of your struggles and a formal diagnosis can help with that. Unfortunately psychiatrists tend to diagnose conditions they can bill for - it's always to do with money. Personality disorders don't need medication and hospital stays, mental illnesses do. That is why your PD has been changed to OCD and borderline personality disorder patients are misdiagnosed with bipolar.

• Lisa M
      1 month agoReport

Some meds for Bi-polar work for BPD though.

Freud called it a Neurosis so the person was Neurotic and he treated with talk therapy and dream analysis. Now its called OCD and treated with medications. There is a lot of information about the disorder in this article from Psychology Today which make be helpful as it has lots of different medications that are used and theories about the cause of the disease which apparently can have a hereditary factor. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/conditions/obse...

• Lisa M
      1 month agoReport

My psychiatrist always thought my dreams were significant. It's the subconscious working things through.