reservist's benefits?

1) US Marine Corp Reservist..1961-1967.. Honorable!   During my after-Basic Medical, I was sent to Great Lakes Naval Hospital in Illinois, where it was found out that I had contracted heart disease while at Parris island! Any options? Someone told me NO at Veteran's!! Is there precedent for Veteran Reservists to go through the process one VA lady told me I was ineligible for, while a couple of others said I was eligible?

2) On December 9, 2019, I was rushed to the Emergency room at St Jude's hosp[ital which is just (1) block away here in Fullerton California! HEART FAILURE & PNEUMONIA MAINLY, but other ailments too! I was in for 3 1/2 days then the bills started to come in slowly! Thank God that Medicare Part (A) only, paid the major ROOM costs! But I am still getting bills which now amount to over $4,000+ dollars and rising! I understood that Emergency visits are covered by the VA! I am flat broke and only earn enough $515.00 from S.S., & am not yet eligible for SSI? 

Now St. Jude's is a great place and offer the finest of services which I always will appreciate, and they don't deserve to be left holding the bag for me or anyone else, but I will continue to try to get those bills paid for, but after Rent, 110.00 a month under section 8, and other minor bills, I cannot even carry life insurance or at least Burial insurance in the event something happens to me after the HEART FAILURE episode? I was a strict exerciser with no bad physical habits, yet I was afflicted Tom.... 

• KaleyK
    Favorite Answer

You cannot "contract heart disease".  Contracting a disease requires exposure to a pathogen.  If you were a reservist in 1961 you must be at least 76 years old.  People your age get health issues.  Health services cost money.  The health services can not get blood out of a turnip.  At your age, what are you worried about?  Your credit score?  Relax and recover your health and don't worry about the cost.  Money is extremely terrestrial. 

• KaleyK

FYI Thomas, I'm from a family of Marines .. my grandfather, Marine Aviator, 1949-1974, my father, infantry officer, 1978-2003, a half brother KIA in Iraq, 2004, and me, 2013-2017.  Semper Fi.

it was found out that I had contracted heart disease while at Parris island

Even it that  were physically possible, you would have been DISCHARGED immediately and COULD NOT have been in the reserves for 6 years.

Your option is to create REMOTELY PLAUSIBLE story.

• Mrsjvb

You did not catch heart disease at PI.  Furthermore you have been out so long that you would never be able to prove a military link for the 2019 incident. Unless you were rated before you got out with service connected heart problems and have been receiving regular care for it since 1967, you are not entitled to squat from the VA 

• Mrsjvb

FOAD. you know **** about me.  
      Or my connection the Marines or Reserves. The VA is not obligated to give you anything.

I don't know how you got heart disease thru basic??  Rifle range, gas chamber, morning runs, hand-to-hand combat??  I don't recall anything I did in basic that would have caused anything like this.  But once you were diagnosed with this, why weren't you given a medical discharge??   

But anyway, go to the VA's site, and talk to someone to set-up a medical to see what's going on.  And what you (and the VA) can do about this.  

• ThomasA2 months agoReport

exactdude..  You are not EXACT at all! That MEDICAL diagnosis, if you refresh you childish memory, came when it was time for discharge! Such stupid comments when a person needs help! Please don't reply again OKay? Don't need output such as that!!

You "contracted" a heart disease in boot camp? LMFAO! 

• ThomasA2 months agoReport

I should say a HEART PROBLEM that required further testing at GREAT LAKES NAVAL STATION in Illinois! I was told to stop physical activity at the time, which I resented, as I was somewhat of an athlete who wanted to go further!! What idiotic posts I am getting! LMAS off idiot!!!!

Since I have excellent coverage in civilian life I have never used VA services, thus not an expert.

I have known individuals who were injured as reservists on active duty, who received VA care. You were on active duty at PI, I assume that your DD-214 shows a separation from Active service upon graduation form boot camp, as you transferred to the Reserves.

There has to be an advocacy service out there to navigate the VA, and assist your with your documentation, etc. 

Do you have a question?

• ThomasA2 months agoReport

Forget about it? I see a caustic reply coming that I don't want or need! If you are a VA professional, then reply, otherwise there is no Question? The problem is apparent though?