promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Youry asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 3 months ago

Canon EOS 90D or better lens?

Hey people,

I have a Canon 77D with the 18-55mm kit lens but the videos doesn't seems to look the same after recording, it's either they look darker or brighter after recording but i'm using manual mode. They just don't look the same as what i saw while recording through the screen, what can cause this problem and should i get a better lens like Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 art or Canon 24mm f2.8 prime lens?

What i'm basically asking is that is the Canon 77D not that good for videos or should i get a canon 90D or just better lenses instead. Thank you

5 Answers

Relevance
  • BriaR
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Using the image in the LCD screen to determine correct exposure is very unreliable.  Ambient light levels and screen brightness setting make judgement difficult if not impossible.

Assuming your 77D is similar to my 70D, when shooting video in manual mode it is possible to display the exposure histogram on the viewfinder display.  This is a much more reliable way of determining correct exposure.  Press the info button to scroll through the various information display options.

The histogram takes up too much of the screen to have it display during recording but you can use it in a "dummy run" to get the exposure right and switch it off during the actual recording.

As for the better lens vs 90D part of your question, I would say go for a better lens every time!  The 18-55mm is not a bad lens but it is far from the best.  The EF-S 24mm f/2.8 "pancake" lens is an absolutely superb lens as is its close cousin the EF 40mm f/2.8.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • lare
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

if you are using manual mode, then you need to get a light meter to set the iris. the "live view" display should never be used to guess at exposure, you are lucky that your videos can be viewed at all.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Nothing looks exactly as how it appears on screen.

• Frank
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

The likely problem is that your 77D has an LCD screen that isn't properly calibrated.  Or it could be that the LCD screen is not showing you the actual exposure because the camera isn't designed to work that way in video mode.

A contributing issue is that you're using a photography camera as a video camera.  If you want better video, you should be using a video camera (i.e. camcorder) instead of a DSLR that just happens to have the ability to shoot video.  Unless you absolutely need that shallow depth of field look that you can get from a DSLR, there's no logical reason to be using a DSLR for video.

• Tj3 months agoReport

Yeah i use camcorders before but i move to DSLR for better low light and better quality, i had a Sony FDR-AX53 about 2 years ago and low light was bad but the quality was good. The videos just look different in Sony Vegas Pro and YouTube, they darker or doesn't look as sharp.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • qrk
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Looking at a video on a small screen will hide many technical issues you may have.

Looking at a video on a large computer or TV screen may be problematic if the monitor isn't calibrated. On modern computers and monitors, they are fairly well adjusted out of the box except for brightness and contrast.

Since you don't show a sample of your video, there is no way to say what is wrong. Lighting is a big thing. Learning how to use a histogram is helpful in setting up your exposure. Are you using auto-ISO?

Your camera is capable of taking decent videos if you know what you're doing. Your kit lens should suffice for now. If you really are in to video, you may want to consider a decent camcorder.

• Tj3 months agoReport

I make tech videos and showing it wouldn't make a difference i think, only me can tell because i'm the one that see how the place look like. I usually put the camera on a tripod to record videos in my room. They just look different on the computer and on YouTube from what i saw while recording them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.