promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Which military base would you reccomend I visit with my family?

I found out that as a disabled veteran I can visit military bases and I wanted to plan it as a brief detour during a family vacation. I live in Indianapolis In. I have taken my family on vacations to Chicago IL, Detroit MI,  Pennsylvania, Ohio, kentucky, Tennessee, New York. Florida

I want to go to Washington DC and Wisconsin in the future. I have a wife, 3 kids age 11, 10 and 10. Which base would you reccomend? Does it have a good MWR program? 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

As many/most promised benefits have been taken away from retirees, and the cost of housing is higher than similar properties in the community, I am afraid you may be surprised/disappointed with your plans to see and stay.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Visit?

In your dreams !

Use the PX and that is your lot!

• 1 month ago

Hickam AFB has a wonderful MWR program.

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you have a VA disability rating (and a VHIC), YOU (not your family) can use the Commissary and Exchange.  You (and maybe your family) can use some MWR facilities on base (basically the revenue generating ones--that does not include lodging).  

Some bases have restricted access to the base to those newly eligible to just the disabled vet and not family members.  

Seriously, you want to take your family to some random military base so that you can use their bowling alley?  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You were told wrong.  Many bases are closed unless you have business there/ are stationed there.  You cannot use MWR services unless you are retired or on AD.  

There’s nothing to do on most bases anyway.  Hell, even here at NAS pensacola we are still barring visitors from the Lighthouse , Museum and cemetery.  

• ...Show all comments
    • Lisa1 month agoReport

Just recently, they changed the policy. Any disabled veteran now has post/base access to the MWR, commissary and exchanges. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.